From: Frank Eden on
HI,

wouldn't it be great if DirectX function call inside an XP virtual machine
could be forwarded to the Windows 7 host OS?
I think, this should be feasible if the guest OSs graphics driver could
directly feed into the host OS DirectX interface...

What do you think?

Regards,

Frank
From: Bo Berglund on
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 13:49:01 -0700, Frank Eden
<FrankEden(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>HI,
>
>wouldn't it be great if DirectX function call inside an XP virtual machine
>could be forwarded to the Windows 7 host OS?
>I think, this should be feasible if the guest OSs graphics driver could
>directly feed into the host OS DirectX interface...
>
>What do you think?

Does not work like that.
The whole point of virtualization is to *isolate* the virtual computer
from the host hardware to create a stable and immutable hardware
platform. So everything is emulated except the CPU and RAM.
The emulated graphics system is a Trio card with a maximum RAM size of
16 Mb (and this is reached only after manuallt tweaking settings
inside the vmc file).
Hence you are out of luck with DirectX and VPC from Microsoft.

But if you switch to VMWARE Workstation 7 or Player 3 then you will
have a better solution because VMWARE have developed a new emulated
video system that is compatible with the Aero system on Vista and Win7
plus is compatible with DirectX.
So give VMWARE a try.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)