From: Azumanga on
Has anyone ever found a good text which discusses how to present
Lemmas, Theorems and Definitions? I often find it tricky, espically
for longer ones.
Short ones are often OK, for example:

Lemma: For any vector space V, q(V) = 0.

But longer ones can get messy (note, the following isn't correct
maths, just a long Lemma).

Lemma: For any vector spaces V, group G, element g in G, integer x
such that g^x = g then given z is a solution to the equation z=x^3,
V(xz)=g

I'm sure there must be a good general framework for defining all the
bits of Lemmas, but I've found it suprisingly hard to find.

From: Denis Feldmann on
Azumanga a �crit :
> Has anyone ever found a good text which discusses how to present
> Lemmas, Theorems and Definitions?

For a very funny conference (in english) of Jean-Pierre Serre on how
*not* to do it, see :
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8266735963828183844&q=how+to+write+mathematics+badly

I often find it tricky, espically
> for longer ones.
> Short ones are often OK, for example:
>
> Lemma: For any vector space V, q(V) = 0.
>
> But longer ones can get messy (note, the following isn't correct
> maths, just a long Lemma).
>
> Lemma: For any vector spaces V, group G, element g in G, integer x
> such that g^x = g then given z is a solution to the equation z=x^3,
> V(xz)=g
>
> I'm sure there must be a good general framework for defining all the
> bits of Lemmas, but I've found it suprisingly hard to find.

Pages: 1
Prev: Wavelet Denoising
Next: The Definition of Points