From: Lester Zick on

The Definition of Points
~v~~

In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
we must ask how points are defined? However I seem to recollect
intersections of lines determine points. But if so then we are left to
consider the rather peculiar proposition that lines are composed of
the intersection of lines. Now I don't claim the foregoing definitions
are circular. Only that the ratio of definitional logic to conclusions
is a transcendental somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.14159 . . .

~v~~
From: Ross A. Finlayson on

Lester Zick wrote:
> The Definition of Points
> ~v~~
>
> In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
> we must ask how points are defined? However I seem to recollect
> intersections of lines determine points. But if so then we are left to
> consider the rather peculiar proposition that lines are composed of
> the intersection of lines. Now I don't claim the foregoing definitions
> are circular. Only that the ratio of definitional logic to conclusions
> is a transcendental somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.14159 . . .
>
> ~v~~

You should ask me.

Ross

--
Finlayson Consulting

From: PD on
On Mar 13, 12:52 pm, Lester Zick <dontbot...(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
> The Definition of Points
> ~v~~
>
> In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
> we must ask how points are defined? However I seem to recollect
> intersections of lines determine points. But if so then we are left to
> consider the rather peculiar proposition that lines are composed of
> the intersection of lines. Now I don't claim the foregoing definitions
> are circular. Only that the ratio of definitional logic to conclusions
> is a transcendental somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.14159 . . .
>
> ~v~~

Interestingly, the dictionary of the English language is also
circular, where the definitions of each and every single word in the
dictionary is composed of other words also defined in the dictionary.
Thus, it is possible to find a circular route from any word defined in
the dictionary, through words in the definition, back to the original
word to be defined.

That being said, perhaps it is in your best interest to find a way to
write a dictionary that eradicates this circularity. That way, when
you use the words "peculiar" and "definitional", we will have a priori
definitions of those terms that are noncircular, and from which the
unambiguous meaning of what you write can be obtained.

PD

From: Sam Wormley on
Lester Zick wrote:
> The Definition of Points
> ~v~~
>
> In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
> we must ask how points are defined? However I seem to recollect
> intersections of lines determine points. But if so then we are left to
> consider the rather peculiar proposition that lines are composed of
> the intersection of lines. Now I don't claim the foregoing definitions
> are circular. Only that the ratio of definitional logic to conclusions
> is a transcendental somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.14159 . . .
>
> ~v~~

Point
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Point.html

A point 0-dimensional mathematical object, which can be specified in
n-dimensional space using n coordinates. Although the notion of a point
is intuitively rather clear, the mathematical machinery used to deal
with points and point-like objects can be surprisingly slippery. This
difficulty was encountered by none other than Euclid himself who, in
his Elements, gave the vague definition of a point as "that which has
no part."
From: Douglas Eagleson on
On Mar 13, 1:52 pm, Lester Zick <dontbot...(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
> The Definition of Points
> ~v~~
>
> In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
> we must ask how points are defined? However I seem to recollect
> intersections of lines determine points. But if so then we are left to
> consider the rather peculiar proposition that lines are composed of
> the intersection of lines. Now I don't claim the foregoing definitions
> are circular. Only that the ratio of definitional logic to conclusions
> is a transcendental somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.14159 . . .
>
> ~v~~

Points are rather importent things to try to get correct. I am still
looking for some references, easy web kind, to allow topology to
express points.

And if a point was expressable, a function. And so nth topoogy is
possible, but I need a Matlab transform that links a theorm, to the
applied coordinate. And so the basic idea is to allow points where the
size as infinity are expressable.

This solves a symmetry problem. And resolves the question of sets of
rationals to irrationals as true sized, infinities!

So the topology of the point is a theorm I need.

Any ideas?

Thanks Doug