From: Bob Kolker on
SucMucPaProlij wrote:>

> One can assume that there are some objects other than points but I don't think

Only if one makes this assumption explicit. This means introducing
objects other than points and lines into the system and it means some
axiom must somehow mention and characterize this additional object or
kind of object.

The idea of an axiom system such as Hilbert's is to -explicitly- mention
those objects which are not defined and characterize them with the
axioms. Thus, given two distinct points there is one and only one line
containing the points. The containment relation expressed in a number of
ways is also undefined. We we say a point is on a line. A line contains
a point or a line passes through a point etc..

Look at hilbert's axiom system in wiki.

Bob Kolker

From: Eckard Blumschein on

On 3/13/2007 6:52 PM, Lester Zick wrote:

> In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
> we must ask how points are defined?

I hate arbitrary definitions. I would rather like to pinpoint what makes
the notion of a point different from the notion of a number:

If a line is really continuous, then a mobile point can continuously
glide on it. If the line just consists of points corresponding to
rational numbers, then one can only jump from one discrete position to
an other.

A point has no parts, each part of continuum has parts, therefore
continuum cannot be resolved into any finite amount of points.
Real numbers must be understood like fictions.

All this seems to be well-known. When will the battle between frogs and
mices end with a return to Salviati?

From: PD on
On Mar 14, 9:51 am, Eckard Blumschein <blumsch...(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>
wrote:
> On 3/13/2007 6:52 PM, Lester Zick wrote:
>

> > In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
> > we must ask how points are defined?
>
> I hate arbitrary definitions. I would rather like to pinpoint what makes
> the notion of a point different from the notion of a number:
>
> If a line is really continuous, then a mobile point can continuously
> glide on it. If the line just consists of points corresponding to
> rational numbers, then one can only jump from one discrete position to
> an other.

That's an interesting (but old) problem. How would one distinguish
between continuous and discrete? As a proposal, I would suggest means
that there is a finite, nonzero interval (where interval is measurable
somehow) between successive positions, in which there is no
intervening position. Unfortunately, the rational numbers do not
satisfy this definition of discreteness, because between *any* two
rational numbers, there is an intervening rational number. I'd be
interested in your definition of discreteness that the rational
numbers satisfy.

PD

From: Bob Kolker on
Eckard Blumschein wrote:> If a line is really continuous, then a mobile
point can continuously
> glide on it. If the line just consists of points corresponding to
> rational numbers, then one can only jump from one discrete position to
> an other.

Points don't glide. In fact points don't move. You are still pushing
discrete mathematics? All you will get is a means of totalling up your
grocery bill.

Bob Kolker
From: VK on
On Mar 14, 1:28 am, Lester Zick <dontbot...(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
> Are points and lines not still mathematical objects

The point is το τί ήν είναι ("to ti en einai") of the infinity.
If you want a definition based on something fresher than Aristotle
then:
The point is nothing which is still something in potention to
become everything.
IMHO the Aristotle-based definition is better, but it's personal.

Now after some thinking you may decide to stay with the crossing lines
and hell on the cross-definition issues ;-) The speach is not a
reflection of entities: it is a reflection - of different levels of
quality - of the mind processes. This way a word doesn't have neither
can decribe an entity. The purpose of the word - when read - to trig a
"mentagram", state of mind, as close as possible to the original one -
which caused the word to be written. This way it is not important how
is the point defined: it is important that all people involved in the
subject would think of appoximately the same entity so not say about
triangles or squares. In this aspect crossing lines definition in math
does the trick pretty well. From the other side some "sizeless thingy"
as the definition would work in math as well - again as long as
everyone involved would think the same entity when reading it.