From: Douglas Eagleson on
On Mar 13, 3:08 pm, "Douglas Eagleson" <eaglesondoug...(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:
> On Mar 13, 1:52 pm, Lester Zick <dontbot...(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
>
> > The Definition of Points
> > ~v~~
>
> > In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
> > we must ask how points are defined? However I seem to recollect
> > intersections of lines determine points. But if so then we are left to
> > consider the rather peculiar proposition that lines are composed of
> > the intersection of lines. Now I don't claim the foregoing definitions
> > are circular. Only that the ratio of definitional logic to conclusions
> > is a transcendental somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.14159 . . .
>
> > ~v~~
>
> Points are rather importent things to try to get correct. I am still
> looking for some references, easy web kind, to allow topology to
> express points.
>
> And if a point was expressable, a function. And so nth topoogy is
> possible, but I need a Matlab transform that links a theorm, to the
> applied coordinate. And so the basic idea is to allow points where the
> size as infinity are expressable.
>
> This solves a symmetry problem. And resolves the question of sets of
> rationals to irrationals as true sized, infinities!
>
> So the topology of the point is a theorm I need.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks Doug

If you think points are trivial in topology please give me your
reference. Because the Dekind Cut as the rate expresses the infinite
sequence of all. A size as absolute infinite expression was his
abstract size!

Always was it a small little cut of exact size.

So the appearance of the??????

And here we sit.

A bunch of question marks. Abstract the Cut, no big deal?

It is hard for me to accept Dekind's invention in the first place
until you are informed you need assitance. SO it is hard stuff. What
is a Dekind cut?

And if you can answer, then the relation of its cause in geometric
space is apparent. SO a single little theorm I am ignorent of.
Please help.

From: Lester Zick on
On 13 Mar 2007 11:20:47 -0700, "Ross A. Finlayson"
<raf(a)tiki-lounge.com> wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:
>> The Definition of Points
>> ~v~~
>>
>> In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
>> we must ask how points are defined? However I seem to recollect
>> intersections of lines determine points. But if so then we are left to
>> consider the rather peculiar proposition that lines are composed of
>> the intersection of lines. Now I don't claim the foregoing definitions
>> are circular. Only that the ratio of definitional logic to conclusions
>> is a transcendental somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.14159 . . .
>>
>> ~v~~
>
>You should ask me.

Why?

~v~~
From: Lester Zick on
On 13 Mar 2007 11:34:56 -0700, "PD" <TheDraperFamily(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mar 13, 12:52 pm, Lester Zick <dontbot...(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
>> The Definition of Points
>> ~v~~
>>
>> In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
>> we must ask how points are defined? However I seem to recollect
>> intersections of lines determine points. But if so then we are left to
>> consider the rather peculiar proposition that lines are composed of
>> the intersection of lines. Now I don't claim the foregoing definitions
>> are circular. Only that the ratio of definitional logic to conclusions
>> is a transcendental somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.14159 . . .
>>
>> ~v~~
>
>Interestingly, the dictionary of the English language is also
>circular, where the definitions of each and every single word in the
>dictionary is composed of other words also defined in the dictionary.

Well see the problem here, PD, is that most dictionaries of language
would be embarrassed to give a circular definition outright. In other
words I should be quite surprized to find a definition of "gregarious"
along the lines of "gregarious is gregarious" or "gregarious means
gregarious people". Mathematikers however are not quite so timid. They
routinely resort to tight loops in their definitions adding very
little of substance anywhere along the line. In this particular case
mathematikers feel quite comfortable defining points as "intersections
of lines making up lines". Quite lame.

Nor does one find dictionary definitions arbitrarily drawn to support
various contentions they can't support logically. The question here is
not whether there are mathematical objects we call points but whether
in fact they compose lines. Obviously mathematikers are too lazy or
stupid to demonstrate that contention so they just define it that way.

>Thus, it is possible to find a circular route from any word defined in
>the dictionary, through words in the definition, back to the original
>word to be defined.

Scarcely the point, sport. Ostensible definitions often wind up being
particular rather than general. It's just unfortunate mathematikers
prove comparably inept.

>That being said, perhaps it is in your best interest to find a way to
>write a dictionary that eradicates this circularity.

Or mathematikers might consider defining their objects in somewhat
more general terms which don't just assume what they should prove.

> That way, when
>you use the words "peculiar" and "definitional", we will have a priori
>definitions of those terms that are noncircular, and from which the
>unambiguous meaning of what you write can be obtained.

Well I've certainly made more progress in that direction with generic
language than mathematikers seem to have made in theirs. Kinda makes
one skeptical whether mathematikers claim that lines are made up of
points is in fact true. I see no evidence to support that claim in the
definition of points. It appears to be nothing but an arbitrary claim.

~v~~
From: Lester Zick on
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:24:01 +0100, "SucMucPaProlij"
<mrjohnpauldike2006(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>"PD" <TheDraperFamily(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mar 13, 12:52 pm, Lester Zick <dontbot...(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
>>> The Definition of Points
>>> ~v~~
>>>
>>> In the swansong of modern math lines are composed of points. But then
>>> we must ask how points are defined? However I seem to recollect
>>> intersections of lines determine points. But if so then we are left to
>>> consider the rather peculiar proposition that lines are composed of
>>> the intersection of lines. Now I don't claim the foregoing definitions
>>> are circular. Only that the ratio of definitional logic to conclusions
>>> is a transcendental somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.14159 . . .
>>>
>>> ~v~~
>>
>> Interestingly, the dictionary of the English language is also
>> circular, where the definitions of each and every single word in the
>> dictionary is composed of other words also defined in the dictionary.
>> Thus, it is possible to find a circular route from any word defined in
>> the dictionary, through words in the definition, back to the original
>> word to be defined.
>>
>> That being said, perhaps it is in your best interest to find a way to
>> write a dictionary that eradicates this circularity. That way, when
>> you use the words "peculiar" and "definitional", we will have a priori
>> definitions of those terms that are noncircular, and from which the
>> unambiguous meaning of what you write can be obtained.
>>
>> PD
>>

>hahahahahahaha good point (or "intersections of lines")

And it might be an even better point if it weren't used to justify
mathematikers' claims that lines are made up of points.

~v~~
From: Lester Zick on
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:16:52 -0400, "Jesse F. Hughes"
<jesse(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:

>"PD" <TheDraperFamily(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Interestingly, the dictionary of the English language is also
>> circular, where the definitions of each and every single word in the
>> dictionary is composed of other words also defined in the dictionary.
>> Thus, it is possible to find a circular route from any word defined in
>> the dictionary, through words in the definition, back to the original
>> word to be defined.
>
>The part following "Thus" is doubtful. It is certainly true for some
>words ("is" and "a", for instance). It is almost certainly false
>for some other words. I doubt that if we begin with "gregarious" and
>check each word in its definition, followed by each word in those
>definitions and so on, we will find a definition involving the word
>"gregarious".
>
>Here's the start:
>
>gregarious
> adj 1: tending to form a group with others of the same kind;
> "gregarious bird species"; "man is a gregarious
> animal" [ant: ungregarious]
> 2: seeking and enjoying the company of others; "a gregarious
> person who avoids solitude"
>
>(note that the examples and antonym are not part of the definition!)

An interesting point. One might indeed have to go a long way to
discern the circularity. However my actual contention is that this
variety of circularity is quite often used by mathematikers to conceal
an otherwise orphan contention that lines are constituted of points.

~v~~