From: Kenneth Tilton on
I am seeking guinea pigs for a new release of my Algebra software, which
is free for now, may stay that way, and most definitely will stay that
way for early adopters:

http://www.stuckonalgebra.com

Windows XP/Vista/7 only, but just an easy port* away from the Mac. Last
time a fonts issue got in the way, and with luck the new FTGL
(OpenGL+Freetype) library might elim that.

For those wondering what Cello and Cells are all about, this is some of
what I do with them. Sits on top of Tcl/Tk, btw, but not for any widgets
(other than the Togl OpenGL widget). But no, you do not get the source.

Caveat downloader: it is most definitely not done: it needs more
Algebra, much more in the on-line component that let's students ask
others for help, many bug fixes in the tutor message references to
problem components, and more (including a port to the Web!).

On the other hand, I believe there is more than enough there to make a
huge difference for anyone having toruble with Algebra. The material
covered is basic, but teachers using the C version reported that once
kids got over the hurdle of Algebra I fundamentals they were able to put
the software aside.

Your motivation? Help me create a Lisp software empire so all you
deadbeats can have Lisp jobs.

kt

--

http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Laughingstock/115923141782?ref=nf
From: Kenneth Tilton on
Kenneth Tilton wrote:
> I am seeking guinea pigs for a new release of my Algebra software, which
> is free for now, may stay that way, and most definitely will stay that
> way for early adopters:
>
> http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
>
> Windows XP/Vista/7 only, but just an easy port* away from the Mac. Last
> time a fonts issue got in the way, and with luck the new FTGL
> (OpenGL+Freetype) library might elim that.
>
> For those wondering what Cello and Cells are all about, this is some of
> what I do with them. Sits on top of Tcl/Tk, btw, but not for any widgets
> (other than the Togl OpenGL widget). But no, you do not get the source.
>
> Caveat downloader: it is most definitely not done: it needs more
> Algebra, much more in the on-line component that let's students ask
> others for help, many bug fixes in the tutor message references to
> problem components, and more (including a port to the Web!).
>
> On the other hand, I believe there is more than enough there to make a
> huge difference for anyone having toruble with Algebra. The material
> covered is basic, but teachers using the C version reported that once
> kids got over the hurdle of Algebra I fundamentals they were able to put
> the software aside.
>
> Your motivation? Help me create a Lisp software empire so all you
> deadbeats can have Lisp jobs.
>
> kt

The * was: "Speaking of Lisp jobs, feel free to contact me about
possible contract work, including doing Mac port (which went pretty
easily last time until the fonts issue broke my spirit)."

kt

From: joswig on
On 30 Dez., 16:54, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am seeking guinea pigs for a new release of my Algebra software, which
> is free for now, may stay that way, and most definitely will stay that
> way for early adopters:
>
>    http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
>
> Windows XP/Vista/7 only, but just an easy port* away from the Mac. Last
> time a fonts issue got in the way, and with luck the new FTGL
> (OpenGL+Freetype) library might elim that.
>
> For those wondering what Cello and Cells are all about, this is some of
> what I do with them. Sits on top of Tcl/Tk, btw, but not for any widgets
> (other than the Togl OpenGL widget). But no, you do not get the source.

TCL? is that Tilton Common Lisp or what? Without CLOS? But Cells?

I was just checking the water temperature (celsius) of the swimming
pond
where I do my swimming training.

http://lispm.dyndns.org/lisp/pics/scigraph-water-temperature.png

Looks like early may the season starts again... with a little luck.

From: Tamas K Papp on
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:54:44 -0500, Kenneth Tilton wrote:

> (other than the Togl OpenGL widget). But no, you do not get the source.

That is understandable, but I do hope that you will blog about the
issues you have encountered. Sharing info about practical application
development/deployment would benefit many people.

> Caveat downloader: it is most definitely not done: it needs more
> Algebra, much more in the on-line component that let's students ask
> others for help, many bug fixes in the tutor message references to
> problem components, and more (including a port to the Web!).

I would be happy to test, but I use Linux, so I will wait for the Web
port.

> Your motivation? Help me create a Lisp software empire so all you
> deadbeats can have Lisp jobs.

I am happy as an economist :-) But raising the level of algebra
literacy ("numeracy", thanks Hofstadter) would also be part of my
motivation.

Best,

Tamas
From: deech on
On Dec 30, 10:54 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am seeking guinea pigs for a new release of my Algebra software, which
> is free for now, may stay that way, and most definitely will stay that
> way for early adopters:
>
>    http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
>
> Windows XP/Vista/7 only, but just an easy port* away from the Mac. Last
> time a fonts issue got in the way, and with luck the new FTGL
> (OpenGL+Freetype) library might elim that.
>
> For those wondering what Cello and Cells are all about, this is some of
> what I do with them. Sits on top of Tcl/Tk, btw, but not for any widgets
> (other than the Togl OpenGL widget). But no, you do not get the source.
>
> Caveat downloader: it is most definitely not done: it needs more
> Algebra, much more in the on-line component that let's students ask
> others for help, many bug fixes in the tutor message references to
> problem components, and more (including a port to the Web!).
>
> On the other hand, I believe there is more than enough there to make a
> huge difference for anyone having toruble with Algebra. The material
> covered is basic, but teachers using the C version reported that once
> kids got over the hurdle of Algebra I fundamentals they were able to put
> the software aside.
>
> Your motivation? Help me create a Lisp software empire so all you
> deadbeats can have Lisp jobs.
>
> kt
>
> --
>
> http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Laughingstock/115923141782?ref=nf

A friend of mine is a private math tutor, not a programmer. Will the
free-trial download link on your website get him the new release?

thanks ...
-deech