From: Nik on
I'm working on setting up RPC over HTTP. Did all the configs using a
combination of sites. Microsoft, msexchange.org, petri, techrepublic, etc.
However, for whatever reasons I just can't connect to my front-end.
When I try to connect using http://front-end/exchange I connect without any
problems, no certificate complaints no user name problem, nothing. However,
when I try to connect to outlook I get
"Outlook could not log on. Check to make sure you are connect to the network
and are using a proper server and mailbox name. The connection to the
Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or
connected to complete this action."

I configured my RPC over HTTP backend before I configure the front end. When
I check the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RPC\RpcProxy\ValidPorts my
server shows up in there.
I configured outlook by specifying the RPC proxy server name and chosing
Basic Auth over NTLM

Can someone tell me what I may be missing or where I can look.
I'm running Exchange 2003sp2, Windows 2003 sp2, Outlook 2003

From: Nik on
One other point.
I'm using a front-end with multiple back-ends
My back-ends are not domain controllers or GC

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:28:13 -0400, "Nik" <test> wrote:

>I'm working on setting up RPC over HTTP. Did all the configs using a
>combination of sites. Microsoft, msexchange.org, petri, techrepublic, etc.
>However, for whatever reasons I just can't connect to my front-end.
>When I try to connect using http://front-end/exchange I connect without any
>problems, no certificate complaints no user name problem, nothing. However,
>when I try to connect to outlook I get
>"Outlook could not log on. Check to make sure you are connect to the network
>and are using a proper server and mailbox name. The connection to the
>Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or
>connected to complete this action."
>
>I configured my RPC over HTTP backend before I configure the front end. When
>I check the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RPC\RpcProxy\ValidPorts my
>server shows up in there.
>I configured outlook by specifying the RPC proxy server name and chosing
>Basic Auth over NTLM
>
>Can someone tell me what I may be missing or where I can look.
>I'm running Exchange 2003sp2, Windows 2003 sp2, Outlook 2003

I'd start troubleshooting here: http://testexchangeconnectivity.com
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Nik on
Ok I think I figured out my mistake after doing some reading.
I was configured both the "Exchange Server" and the "Proxy Server" as my
front-end server.
I've now configured my "Exchange Server" as the server holding the user's
mailbox and the "Proxy Server" as my front-end server.
Can someone confirm this is the way it has to be.
Thanks!

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 15:23:34 -0400, "Nik" <test> wrote:

>Ok I think I figured out my mistake after doing some reading.
>I was configured both the "Exchange Server" and the "Proxy Server" as my
>front-end server.
>I've now configured my "Exchange Server" as the server holding the user's
>mailbox and the "Proxy Server" as my front-end server.
>Can someone confirm this is the way it has to be.

Does it work? It must be right! :-)
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP