From: me on
Hi,
Ok, I have a configuration pb here : upon attempting to improve the
screen resolution (increase it), I changed it through the control center.
I then had to reboot to get the changes, only linux, in all its wisdom
then told me it found no screen and puts me into cli mode!
Logged in as root, went into the xorg.conf and saw I had one set up for
a lower res, so I changed its name to xorg.conf and rebooted again.
No luck, still same result.
I investigated further but found no version (had 3) that would give me
my screen back, either through rebooting or through Xsession as root.
So I am a tad at a loss here.
I managed to get one of the xorg file, below : can anyone tell me just
what is wrong ?
I use it on a toshiba laptop.
In the (unlikely I'm sure) event nothing works, can I solve this problem
via re-installing linux (avoiding all that concerns formatting and
losing "home")?

Thanks for any help!

G.

# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated
together)
# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server
independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the
mouse does not work
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "SynapticsMouse1"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.18"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.09"
Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
Option "FingerLow" "25"
Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
Option "FingerHigh" "30"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
Option "RightEdge" "5300"
Option "TopEdge" "1700"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0015"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Generic"
ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x800"
HorizSync 31.5-90
VertRefresh 60

# Monitor preferred modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 49.0 kHz hsync, ratio
16/10)
ModeLine "1280x800" 68.94 1280 1296 1344 1408 800 801 804 816
-hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
Driver "fbdev"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "monitor1"
DefaultColorDepth 16

Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 15
Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "SynapticsMouse1" "AlwaysCore"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection

From: Rob on
me wrote:

> Hi,
> Ok, I have a configuration pb here : upon attempting to improve the
> screen resolution (increase it), I changed it through the control center.
> I then had to reboot to get the changes, only linux, in all its wisdom
> then told me it found no screen and puts me into cli mode!
> Logged in as root, went into the xorg.conf and saw I had one set up for
> a lower res, so I changed its name to xorg.conf and rebooted again.
> No luck, still same result.
> I investigated further but found no version (had 3) that would give me
> my screen back, either through rebooting or through Xsession as root.
> So I am a tad at a loss here.
> I managed to get one of the xorg file, below : can anyone tell me just
> what is wrong ?
> I use it on a toshiba laptop.
> In the (unlikely I'm sure) event nothing works, can I solve this problem
> via re-installing linux (avoiding all that concerns formatting and
> losing "home")?

Not sure about the xorg.conf file itself, but you might try the following
exercise:

From the CLI, login as root and type in mcc (i.e. mandriva control centre) -
it will be in text mode. Here you should be able to change your screen
resolution & test how it works before exiting and rebooting (hopefully)
into a graphical setup.

HTH

Rob.
From: Dan Espen on
me <a(a)b.com> writes:

> Hi,
> Ok, I have a configuration pb here : upon attempting to improve the
> screen resolution (increase it), I changed it through the control
> center.
> I then had to reboot to get the changes, only linux, in all its wisdom
> then told me it found no screen and puts me into cli mode!
> Logged in as root, went into the xorg.conf and saw I had one set up
> for a lower res, so I changed its name to xorg.conf and rebooted again.
> No luck, still same result.
> I investigated further but found no version (had 3) that would give me
> my screen back, either through rebooting or through Xsession as root.
> So I am a tad at a loss here.
> I managed to get one of the xorg file, below : can anyone tell me just
> what is wrong ?
> I use it on a toshiba laptop.
> In the (unlikely I'm sure) event nothing works, can I solve this
> problem via re-installing linux (avoiding all that concerns formatting
> and losing "home")?

The config file shows a default depth of 16 and default resolution
of 1280x1024.

There is no Modeline for that resolution.

What is the actual resolution for your LCD? That's the only resolution
you want to use.

You can look in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for the error that is
causing X to give up.
From: Peter D. on
on Sunday 15 July 2007 20:36
in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake
me wrote:

> Hi,
> Ok, I have a configuration pb here : upon attempting to improve the
> screen resolution (increase it), I changed it through the control center.
> I then had to reboot to get the changes, only linux, in all its wisdom
> then told me it found no screen and puts me into cli mode!
> Logged in as root, went into the xorg.conf and saw I had one set up for
> a lower res, so I changed its name to xorg.conf and rebooted again.
> No luck, still same result.
> I investigated further but found no version (had 3) that would give me
> my screen back, either through rebooting or through Xsession as root.
> So I am a tad at a loss here.
> I managed to get one of the xorg file, below : can anyone tell me just
> what is wrong ?
> I use it on a toshiba laptop.

Laptop. Therefore LCD screen. Find out what the native resolution of
the screen is and use that. That will give you the best results you
can get from that screen.

> In the (unlikely I'm sure) event nothing works, can I solve this problem
> via re-installing linux (avoiding all that concerns formatting and
> losing "home")?

Next time you repartition your drive put /home on its own partition.
Then when it comes time to upgrade or reinstall you can keep /home
intact. It is also a good idea to put /var on its own partition,
so that when it fills up it does not crash the system.

[snip]
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "monitor1"
> VendorName "Generic"
> ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x800"

My guess is it's 1280 by 800 screen!

[snip]
> Subsection "Display"
> Depth 8
> Virtual 1280 1024
> EndSubsection
[snip]

Do you really want the Virtual screen to be bigger than physical screen?
If not comment out all of the "Virtual" lines.

Put
Modes "1280x800"
in each of the "Subsection" sections, or
Modes "1280x800" "640x400" "320x200"

Look at /var/log/X* for clues.

--
sig goes here...
Peter D.
From: Ron Gibson on
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:05:26 +1000, Rob wrote:

> Not sure about the xorg.conf file itself, but you might try the
> following exercise:

> From the CLI, login as root and type in mcc (i.e. mandriva control centre)
> - it will be in text mode. Here you should be able to change your screen
> resolution & test how it works before exiting and rebooting (hopefully)
> into a graphical setup.

Or this for a even better workout...command:

xorgconfig

Email - rsgibson(a)verizon.borg
Replace borg with net