From: Bob Macpherson on
Folks,

Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I
contacted Canon but of course they don't have one.

Bob
From: Christopher Hunter on
Bob Macpherson wrote:

> Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I
> contacted Canon but of course they don't have one.

Canon are the most miserable bunch of clueless fools, and I refuse to ever
buy any of their products after the grief I had with two of them. They
refuse to acknowledge that Linux exists.

You /might/ be able to get a driver at www.turboprint.de - if they don't
have one, you can request that they build one for you! They charge ?29.95
for the software, though there's a free trial version.

I swapped my expensive Canon printer / scanner with a neighbour for a
slightly cheaper HP one. The HP outperforms the Canon in every way, and HP
provide proper Linux drivers for it!

Chris

From: Bob Macpherson on
Christopher Hunter wrote:
> Bob Macpherson wrote:
>
>> Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I
>> contacted Canon but of course they don't have one.
>
> Canon are the most miserable bunch of clueless fools, and I refuse to ever
> buy any of their products after the grief I had with two of them. They
> refuse to acknowledge that Linux exists.
>
> You /might/ be able to get a driver at www.turboprint.de - if they don't
> have one, you can request that they build one for you! They charge ?29.95
> for the software, though there's a free trial version.
>
> I swapped my expensive Canon printer / scanner with a neighbour for a
> slightly cheaper HP one. The HP outperforms the Canon in every way, and HP
> provide proper Linux drivers for it!
>
> Chris

Chris,

Many thanks for the info. I'll certainly give it a try

Bob
From: Andrew Ed on

"Bob Macpherson" <wrmac(a)internode.on.net> wrote in message
> Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> Bob Macpherson wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I
>>> contacted Canon but of course they don't have one.
>>
>> Canon are the most miserable bunch of clueless fools, and I refuse to
>> ever
>> buy any of their products after the grief I had with two of them. They
>> refuse to acknowledge that Linux exists.
>>
>> You /might/ be able to get a driver at www.turboprint.de - if they don't
>> have one, you can request that they build one for you! They charge
>> ?29.95
>> for the software, though there's a free trial version.
>>
>> I swapped my expensive Canon printer / scanner with a neighbour for a
>> slightly cheaper HP one. The HP outperforms the Canon in every way, and
>> HP
>> provide proper Linux drivers for it!
>>
>> Chris
> Chris,
>
> Many thanks for the info. I'll certainly give it a try

If there is a Canon OSX driver for Macintosh then you may be in luck for
getting one for your Linux machine sorted relatively quickly.

Having worked for Canon in the UK for 17 years before going self employed I
have to say that they aren't a bunch of miserable clueless fools, however,
as a corporation they do not support Unix and Linux very well. When they
were new out the sales department went to sell an IR6000 complete with
folder finisher and all the kit fitted in to a purely Linux environment,
Head office in the UK said NO, sorry we don't support it. As their first
systems support engineer I was asked by sales to try and see if it could be
done.
I took my Mandrake 7.x machine in to the national training school and set it
up with full functionality in under 20 minutes. I ran a demo for the sales
dept of my branch and to the trainers. That was several years ago, I left
nearly 4 years ago and I still get calls from technicians asking for help on
customers running Linux. As a corporation they do not see the critical mass
required to believe it worth the investment of finances. When they do they
will produce the software needed. It is their loss as they are already
behind the competition.

We only use Epson or HP peripherals ourselves and even if the software was
available I wouldn't change because the output quality of prints or scans
are no better and the Canon units are more expensive, they aren't even
better built or more reliable. In the UK the Canon printers cost more for
the inks than the Epsons although friends in Canada and the USA say it is
different over there. As well as software drivers I would recommend
producing some running cost comparison tables for locally available
consumables.

An Epson CX3650 I picked up from Ebay worked straight out the box on
Mandriva for printing and scanning (Scanning across a network from a Windows
PC using Xsane for Windows even works) it replaced a Canon multipass that
only worked on Windows 9.x and nothing else.

Andrew Ed

From: ray on
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 04:40:03 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> Bob Macpherson wrote:
>
>> Has anyone heard or know of a printer driver for a Canon MF5750? I
>> contacted Canon but of course they don't have one.
>
> Canon are the most miserable bunch of clueless fools, and I refuse to ever
> buy any of their products after the grief I had with two of them. They
> refuse to acknowledge that Linux exists.
>
> You /might/ be able to get a driver at www.turboprint.de - if they don't
> have one, you can request that they build one for you! They charge ?29.95
> for the software, though there's a free trial version.
>
> I swapped my expensive Canon printer / scanner with a neighbour for a
> slightly cheaper HP one. The HP outperforms the Canon in every way, and HP
> provide proper Linux drivers for it!
>
> Chris

I have found good deals on printers at the Epson online store. And drivers
at avasys.jp
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: HELP xorg.conf not working