From: Alan Secker on
This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.

Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.

The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't find 'the Tcl
directory'. A tcl package WAS installed so I was baffled. The aMSN forum
was no help. A request for help was answered by 'check the FAQ' (which I
already had) none of the matters mentioned were helpful. Does anyone have
a clue as to what might be wrong? (I tried both the release and the latest
cooker versions by the way,

From: Dan Espen on
Alan Secker <alan(a)asandco.co.uk> writes:

> This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
>
> Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
> Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
>
> The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't find 'the Tcl
> directory'. A tcl package WAS installed so I was baffled. The aMSN forum
> was no help. A request for help was answered by 'check the FAQ' (which I
> already had) none of the matters mentioned were helpful. Does anyone have
> a clue as to what might be wrong? (I tried both the release and the latest
> cooker versions by the way,

Let me be the first to say: "post the error message".

Normally make will complain about a missing file.
Use urpmf to find the package name containing the file
then use urpmi to install the package.

In this case you're probably missing a tcl-devel package.
From: Rob on
Alan Secker wrote:

> This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
>
> Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
> Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.

What version of Mandriva Linux are you using? I use 2007.0, 32-bit and the
autopackage version of aMSN installed perfectly. This package mechanism
does the compile, etc. and then installs the actual application on the
system correctly. http://www.amsn-project.net/linux-downloads.php

HTH

Rob.
From: Nick Leverton on
In article <fap9ke$1aip$1(a)energise.enta.net>, Alan Secker <alan> wrote:
>This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
>
> Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
>Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
>
>The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't find 'the Tcl
>directory'. A tcl package WAS installed so I was baffled. The aMSN forum
>was no help. A request for help was answered by 'check the FAQ' (which I
>already had) none of the matters mentioned were helpful. Does anyone have
>a clue as to what might be wrong? (I tried both the release and the latest
>cooker versions by the way,

You will probably need the tcl-dev or tcl-devel or similar package which
should contain the headers and the libraries to link against.

Once you've installed the relevant one for your distro, aMSN's configure
script might need to be told where Mandriva puts the TCL headers, or it
might autodetect it. I don't use Mandriva but I'd certainly start with
making sure the TCL -dev package was installed.

Apols as usual if teaching grannies ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 24th August 2007)

"The Internet, an ersatz counterfeit of real life"
From: Dave Farrance on
Alan Secker <alan(a)asandco.co.uk> wrote:

>This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
>
> Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
>Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.

Have you got an aversion to Mandriva's own package manager, Alan? ;)

It's always better to use the packages from Mandriva's own repository,
where possible, because those will have been debugged against Mandriva.
In any case, using package management is the linux-distribution "way",
not going on a web safari to find your software on some obscure website
which is the Windows-freeware way.

[dsf: ~]$ urpmq -f amsn
amsn-0.96-2mdv2007.1.i586

Or, if you must have the latest version:

[dsf: ~]$ urpmq -f amsn --media backports
amsn-0.97-0.RC1.1mdv2007.1.i586

--
Dave Farrance

Pages: 1