From: Adam on
I'm sorry about the delay, but I had to have my gall bladder out (or
open cholestectomy if you prefer). AFAIK no batteries of any size were
involved.

Moe Trin wrote:
> Both cameras I have with battery operated light meters take silver-oxide
> cells without a problem. My main light meter (A Weston Modem IV) is self
> powered.

I didn't know that they still made selenium (or other photocell) meters.
My match-needle SLR (otherwise all mechanical) is happy with a
Duracell PX625A 1.5v alkaline for the exposure meter, instead of the
1.35v mercury battery it was designed for. Speaking of correct
exposure, I took B/W Photog I this spring (first darkroom experience),
and it took me a while to realize how sloppy my exposures were, and to
start exposing correctly. Exposure latitude and automated printers can
get an adequate snapshot out of almost anything.

> Looking at an Eveready 357 (NEDA 1131SO), the package lists 23 other
> numbers it replaces.

I see also GS13 and SR44W for silver oxide in that size, and a whole
other set of numbers for alkaline. Like I said, for over two years I
sold replacements by size when I couldn't match the number, and never
had a problem. On my own watches, I scratch the battery number (387,
395, etc.) into the back of the case.

Remember the lengthy discussion of my dropped dialup connections a few
months ago? My parents, with the same telco and ISP, had the same
problems. Last week my father called the ISP to complain, and (of
course) they said the problem wasn't on their end, must be the phone
wiring or my parents' system, but ever since then there's been no
problem with dropped dialup connections. What a coincidence!

ObLinux: My parents wanted to get online with Linux, but their system
has a built-in winmodem and USB ports, but no RS-232 port. Instead of
messing around trying to get the winmodem to work, I got a USB to serial
converter ($30 at Staples) and an external 56k serial modem ($60 new),
and it only took me a few minutes to get it running. Just wanted to
mention this as an option for any one in a similar situation.

Adam
From: Moe Trin on
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
<XblBi.2139$sg5.1996(a)trndny07>, Adam wrote:

>I'm sorry about the delay, but I had to have my gall bladder out (or
>open cholestectomy if you prefer). AFAIK no batteries of any size were
>involved.

Wowser! Hope you're feeling better. Actually, there were probably a
lot of batteries laying around the operating room - but the last time
I went in for surgery, the last thing I remember is saying hello to the
anesthesiologist in the prep area as they started to wheel me out into
the direction of the operating room. The next thing I remember is waking
up in my room (I don't recall 'recovery room' at all) 15 hours later.

>I didn't know that they still made selenium (or other photocell) meters.

I suspect not, but haven't been in a camera shop in ages. All of the
stuff I've seen in the last two decades have been battery powered.

>Speaking of correct exposure, I took B/W Photog I this spring (first
>darkroom experience), and it took me a while to realize how sloppy my
>exposures were, and to start exposing correctly.

I don't even remember the last time I was in a darkroom - jeez... that's
got to be back in the late 1970s. ;-)

>Exposure latitude and automated printers can get an adequate snapshot
>out of almost anything.

The guy who taught me printing (in 1960) was very experienced, and was
a jewel to watch while he was working on a difficult negative. I was
astonished at the things he could bring up out of a badly exposed shot.

>Like I said, for over two years I sold replacements by size when I
>couldn't match the number, and never had a problem.

I noticed that the "jeweler" at the shop I took my watch in for service
(1958 Rolex Oyster Perpetual - still working fine) was using a feeler
gauge to measure the battery from another customer's watch. I thought
I saw an Eveready logo on the gauge.

>On my own watches, I scratch the battery number (387, 395, etc.) into
>the back of the case.

Other than the Rolex and two 40 year old Seiko mechanicals ("Bell-Matic"
with a built in alarm clock, and a "Navigator" with 24 hour hand) all of
mine are bog-standard Seikos and all use the same type 301.

>Remember the lengthy discussion of my dropped dialup connections a few
>months ago? My parents, with the same telco and ISP, had the same
>problems.

Yes, but I thought they were not having the problem.

>Last week my father called the ISP to complain, and (of course) they
>said the problem wasn't on their end, must be the phone wiring or my
>parents' system, but ever since then there's been no problem with
>dropped dialup connections. What a coincidence!

Miracles happen ;-)

>ObLinux: My parents wanted to get online with Linux, but their system
>has a built-in winmodem and USB ports, but no RS-232 port. Instead of
>messing around trying to get the winmodem to work, I got a USB to serial
>converter ($30 at Staples) and an external 56k serial modem ($60 new),

Even if you are not computing cost of time, winmodems have never been
a good deal. What kind of external? There are some USB modems that
work with Linux, though I don't have model numbers handy. One site I
saw reported that that "3Com" (which really should be USR), MultiTech,
Zoom, and ELSA Microlink had models that were satisfactory.

>and it only took me a few minutes to get it running.

Setting up a modem connection should be quite simple. The problem I've
always run into is the so-called "helper" applications that each
distribution provide are usually no so helpful. Being a dinosaur,
I've got a dumb script that I've been using for over ten years with
only changes in the telephone number and user options (obviously,
/etc/ppp/*ap-secrets and /etc/resolv.conf get tweaked, but...)

Old guy

From: Adam on
Moe Trin wrote:
>> I had to have my gall bladder out (or
>> open cholestectomy if you prefer)
>
> Wowser! Hope you're feeling better.

Thanks. It's hurting less each day. I'm just not used to having to
recover from surgery.

> haven't been in a camera shop in ages.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ is very good -- huge selection, good
prices, thoroughly reputable. I'd recommend them to anybody.

> All of the
> stuff I've seen in the last two decades have been battery powered.

I still have the exposure meter from my father's Kodak Retina Reflex
(1958 SLR), which is batteryless. If only I could convert its numbers
into shutter/aperture settings.

> I don't even remember the last time I was in a darkroom - jeez... that's
> got to be back in the late 1970s. ;-)

The college's new art and science building opened in 2000, and one suite
of rooms was specifically designed as a darkroom -- U-shaped corridor to
the printing rooms, and so on. The B/W photo courses are film, the
color ones are digital. For courses like Photojounalism, either is okay.

>> scratch the battery number (387, 395, etc.) into the back of the case
>
> all of mine are bog-standard Seikos and all use the same type 301

The 300-series numbers do seem to be the ones most commonly used.

>> no RS-232 port. Instead of
>> messing around trying to get the winmodem to work, I got a USB to serial
>> converter ($30 at Staples) and an external 56k serial modem ($60 new),
>
> Even if you are not computing cost of time, winmodems have never been
> a good deal. What kind of external?

RS-232-type serial modem, with DB-9 connector. I forget the brand, but
a major name. Someone at the last LUG meeting was giving some old stuff
away, including this.

> There are some USB modems that work with Linux

Everyone here says that any RS-232 serial modem will work with Linux,
which is a lot easier than trying to figure out which USB or internal
modem would work.

> I've got a dumb script that I've been using for over ten years with
> only changes in the telephone number and user options

Is the dialup a backup for your broadband connection?

Adam
From: Moe Trin on
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake, in article
<UkGCi.15419$453.14229(a)trndny02>, Adam wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>>> I had to have my gall bladder out

>> Wowser! Hope you're feeling better.
>
>Thanks. It's hurting less each day. I'm just not used to having to
>recover from surgery.

I don't think any of us is used to having to do so. But you get to fill
in those wonderful Hospital Evaluation forms - and marvel over the
absolute fantasy that are hospital bills. My last stay was billed at a
bit over US$19000 - and they were paid a total of around US$6300. (3:1
seems to be a common "what they bill/what they accept ratio.) The
"assisting surgeon" billed US$3000, the insurance paid US$435, and
the bill was marked "paid in full". Primary surgeon billed US$3000 as
well, accepted ~US$1350.

>> haven't been in a camera shop in ages.
>
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ is very good -- huge selection, good
>prices, thoroughly reputable. I'd recommend them to anybody.

I just looked in the Yellow Pages (the directory of the phone company
as opposed to the unofficial directories supplied by others) and found
that there is no "Camera" entry - everything is under "Photographic
Equipment Retail" - all ten column-inches totalling 23 phone-numbers.
Mind you, this is the Phoenix Metro Area (population ~2.5e6) phone book.

>> I don't even remember the last time I was in a darkroom - jeez...
>> that's got to be back in the late 1970s. ;-)
>
>The college's new art and science building opened in 2000, and one suite
>of rooms was specifically designed as a darkroom -- U-shaped corridor to
>the printing rooms, and so on. The B/W photo courses are film, the
>color ones are digital. For courses like Photojounalism, either is okay.

film... I'm assuming 35 mm, as I don't recall the last time I saw film
in any other size. Sure, there is no substitute for negative size (and
somewhere - probably at my sister's house - I've got an ancient 4x5
sheet camera), but I've always found 35 mm to be more capable than I
am of exposing/developing it. User limitation. not hardware or media.

>> all of mine are bog-standard Seikos and all use the same type 301
>
>The 300-series numbers do seem to be the ones most commonly used.

although there are a lot of them. I've got a calculator that needs new
batteries (2 x 389 = NEDA 1138SO), and the only place I found locally
wants as much as the cost of a new calculator (~US$7) for the two.
But then I also noticed the big lantern style flashlights are about
the same price as the replacement battery. (Seeing your 'Inkjet'
posting in the other newsgroup - we're in a throw-away society, where
the cost of the replacement parts [particularly laser toner cartridges]
is nearly the same as buying a whole new printer. Do watch that little
problem. I'm using an ancient Epson Stylus Color 740 bought 6 years ago.)

>> There are some USB modems that work with Linux
>
>Everyone here says that any RS-232 serial modem will work with Linux,
>which is a lot easier than trying to figure out which USB or internal
>modem would work.

I don't know how many manufacturers are still _building_ RS-232 modems.
Yes, they all worked, but... As for finding USB modems that work, I
recommend the same thing that was done in the 1990s regarding internal
modems. See what model numbers are available locally, then hit your
favorite search-engine for the model number and the word 'Linux". There
is a USB site (http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html is a good place to
start, http://www.linux-usb.org/devices.html is also useful).

>Is the dialup a backup for your broadband connection?

Backup and alternative. My broadband provider has some quaint filtering
set up at their routers and at their perimeter, so I have one dialin
just to get around that. Recall that I'm a network admin, and having
multiple providers allows me to (example) traceroute from different
places to isolate routing issues. I also use a dialup for news (which
is included as part of the service) - my broadband charges US$5 a month
extra, and has a less useful news service.

Old guy
From: Adam on
Moe Trin wrote:
>> I'm just not used to having to recover from surgery.
>
> I don't think any of us is used to having to do so. But you get to fill
> in those wonderful Hospital Evaluation forms - and marvel over the
> absolute fantasy that are hospital bills.

I didn't get any evaluation forms, and I haven't seen any bills yet
either. In that respect I'm very fortunate. Today was my first day out
on my own, and I can see that it will be a few more weeks until I'm back
to 100%, or close to it.

> I just looked in the Yellow Pages (the directory of the phone company
> as opposed to the unofficial directories supplied by others) and found
> that there is no "Camera" entry - everything is under "Photographic
> Equipment Retail" - all ten column-inches totalling 23 phone-numbers.
> Mind you, this is the Phoenix Metro Area (population ~2.5e6) phone book.

Anyone around here who's halfway serious about photographic equipment
goes to NYC, or orders via 'net or phone. A few years ago I needed a
replacement 50mm lens, and just waited until I went to San Diego. And I
know what you mean about the official Yellow Pages. I have some
unofficial ones, but haven't really found any reasons to use them.

Speaking of telephones, according to a cheapo "telephone line tester"
(two-color LED with dropping resistor and RJ-11 plug), some of my phone
jacks have reversed polarity. Does this make any difference for DSL or
voice signals?

>> The B/W photo courses are film, the color ones are digital.
>
> film... I'm assuming 35 mm

Yep. 35mm equipment is cheaper and easier to work with. I once saw a
single 35mm Kodachrome slide enlarged to 18 by 60 FEET (about 500x), at
Kodak's Colorama display at Grand Central Station.

> the cost of the replacement parts [particularly laser toner cartridges]
> is nearly the same as buying a whole new printer.

I remember one Lexmark cheapie -- replacement ink cartridge was $30,
printer with ink cartridge included was $50, often on sale for $30. Btw
it looks like my current printer isn't completely dead after all, so I
used the money to buy more RAM.

> I don't know how many manufacturers are still _building_ RS-232 modems.

Probably all the different brands are made by the same manufacturer!

Adam