From: Robert M. Riches Jr. on
On 2007-09-26, Unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> A crossover switches 1 and 2 and 3 and 6 from one end to the other.
> They sell them in your local shop or if you wire up your own, just reverse
> those connections. ( 4,5 7 8 are not used No idea why cat 6 is not 4 wire
> rather than 8 wire, but...)

100mb ethernet uses all eight wires, doesn't it?

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42(a)verizon.net
From: Dan C on
On 2007-09-27, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
>> A crossover switches 1 and 2 and 3 and 6 from one end to the other.
>> They sell them in your local shop or if you wire up your own, just reverse
>> those connections. ( 4,5 7 8 are not used No idea why cat 6 is not 4 wire
>> rather than 8 wire, but...)

> 100mb ethernet uses all eight wires, doesn't it?

Nope. Just 1/2 (Tx) and 3/6 (Rx), as stated above.

Here's more info:
http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html

--
"Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

From: Unruh on
"Robert M. Riches Jr." <spamtrap42(a)verizon.net> writes:

>On 2007-09-26, Unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>
>> A crossover switches 1 and 2 and 3 and 6 from one end to the other.
>> They sell them in your local shop or if you wire up your own, just reverse
>> those connections. ( 4,5 7 8 are not used No idea why cat 6 is not 4 wire
>> rather than 8 wire, but...)

>100mb ethernet uses all eight wires, doesn't it?

AFAIK no, neither does Gigabit.

From: Christopher Hunter on
Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

> On 2007-09-26, Unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>
>> A crossover switches 1 and 2 and 3 and 6 from one end to the other.
>> They sell them in your local shop or if you wire up your own, just
>> reverse those connections. ( 4,5 7 8 are not used No idea why cat 6 is
>> not 4 wire rather than 8 wire, but...)
>
> 100mb ethernet uses all eight wires, doesn't it?

No. Just 1 & 2 with 3 & 6.

It always struck me as silly that people try to push fast digital signals
down twisted pair cable - you can get /much/ more bandwidth, cause less
interference and have better data integrity using coax. Admittedly it's
more expensive, and requires some marginal skill to fit the connectors, but
back when coax was the norm, I cabled /lots/ of office networks and /never/
had problems with them.

Chris
From: Unruh on
Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter(a)NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> writes:

>Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

>> On 2007-09-26, Unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> A crossover switches 1 and 2 and 3 and 6 from one end to the other.
>>> They sell them in your local shop or if you wire up your own, just
>>> reverse those connections. ( 4,5 7 8 are not used No idea why cat 6 is
>>> not 4 wire rather than 8 wire, but...)
>>
>> 100mb ethernet uses all eight wires, doesn't it?

>No. Just 1 & 2 with 3 & 6.

>It always struck me as silly that people try to push fast digital signals
>down twisted pair cable - you can get /much/ more bandwidth, cause less
>interference and have better data integrity using coax. Admittedly it's
>more expensive, and requires some marginal skill to fit the connectors, but
>back when coax was the norm, I cabled /lots/ of office networks and /never/
>had problems with them.

Actually I doubt that you could push Gigabit signals down a coax. I also
find it astonishing that you can push Gigabit down a twisted pair, but it
works.