From: Harry The cat Harry The on
I can create user-defined fields, but cannot edit them by clicking on
properties. I think I have in-line editing on, but none of the fields can be
edited.
From: Sue Mosher [MVP] on
"I think" isn't really good enough for troubleshooting. You need to be sure
that in-cell editing is on. You might even want to create a new view.

Depending on the type of items, a custom form might be another way to make
it easy to edit custom field values. VBA code could also be used.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP