From: Han on
My HP 50G came in a blister package, but significantly different from
what is pictured here:

http://commerce.hpcalc.org/images/50g-boxfront-medium.jpg

Instead, the cardboard insert was black. There was no manual, but it
came with a Quick Start Guide. The CD and USB cable were included.

Is this just another sign of HP trying to cut costs? Or is this the
packaging from the most recent production line?
From: TW on
> Instead, the cardboard insert was black. There was no manual, but it
> came with a Quick Start Guide. The CD and USB cable were included.
>
> Is this just another sign of HP trying to cut costs? Or is this the
> packaging from the most recent production line?

That is what is called a universal blister pack and it means it is the
most recent production.

Basically, the distributors who sell the calculators want each unit to
be thinner so more fit on the shelf and per box for shipping. There is
also a significantly "environmental impact" due to less materials
being used, and savings of gas/space for shipping costs (which lets HP
demonstrate how environmentally conscious it is).

While at first glance it seems like there isn't much difference
between sticking in a 100-200 page manual or not, there are some
locations where 3 or 4 languages must be included by law. Having that
printed manual duplicated 4 times doubles or more the thickness of the
package.

The reality is that it isn't cost driving the decision to change the
packaging, but rather standardization and pressure from distributors.

TW

P.S. - Hopefully, you find the quick start guide useful. I wrote the
thing and am always happy to hear some feedback for future
improvements.
From: Andreas Möller on
Hello,

> P.S. - Hopefully, you find the quick start guide useful. I wrote the
> thing and am always happy to hear some feedback for future
> improvements.

In which language does the quick start guide come ?

Regards,
Andreas
http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de
From: Eric Rechlin on
"Han" <handuongster(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> My HP 50G came in a blister package, but significantly different from
> what is pictured here:
>
> http://commerce.hpcalc.org/images/50g-boxfront-medium.jpg

For the record, this particular 50g in question was not purchased from my
site (linked above). I am still selling the old ones with the bigger manual
that is pictured, and I have about 50 of these in stock. Some of the other
models I carry, however, such as the 35s, are now in the blister packaging
(note that the 35s now no longer includes the nice hard clamshell case).

Regards,

Eric Rechlin

From: Han on
On Mar 22, 6:12 pm, "Eric Rechlin" <e...(a)hpcalc.org> wrote:
> "Han" <handuongs...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > My HP 50G came in a blister package, but significantly different from
> > what is pictured here:
>
> >http://commerce.hpcalc.org/images/50g-boxfront-medium.jpg
>
> For the record, this particular 50g in question was not purchased from my
> site (linked above).  I am still selling the old ones with the bigger manual
> that is pictured, and I have about 50 of these in stock.  Some of the other
> models I carry, however, such as the 35s, are now in the blister packaging
> (note that the 35s now no longer includes the nice hard clamshell case).
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Rechlin

My apologies to Eric for using his images without clarifying that I
indeed did NOT purchase my HP 50G from his site (although in
retrospect, I wish I had).

To Tim:

Yes, I found your quick start guide rather useful -- it made the
transition from the HP 48 series much easier (especially once it
described the hold-shift method of accessing applications such as
plotting).