From: walter deodiaus on
I had a HP Pavillion a1632x running WinXP64 media ed which was hit by a
virus. I could not recover via the recovery mode.
I made the mistake of installing Vsta (updating was unavailable).
Is there a way to access the old registy using the remote registy call call
it WinXP1.reg ?
If I were to install XP from scratch, export my registry into a file
WinXP2.reg, import WinXP1.reg, and then overwrite the latest from
WinXP2.reg, would I get a useable system

From: DL on
If Vista was a clean install, and you say "updating was unavailable" then
everything on C was lost.
And anyway if you could'nt recover from a virus, whats the point in
restoring a compromised registry?