From: Dell Christopher on
HP Media Center desktop
WinXP MCE

For about a month now, every time I go to shut down my PC (i.e. Start > Turn
Off Computer > Turn Off option), it just restarts. It is the weirdest thing
and I can't figure out why that's happening. Can anyone suggest some areas
to check, or if that has ever happened to you and how you solved the
problem?

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

From: Shenan Stanley on
Dell Christopher wrote:
> HP Media Center desktop
> WinXP MCE
>
> For about a month now, every time I go to shut down my PC (i.e.
> Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off option), it just restarts. It
> is the weirdest thing and I can't figure out why that's happening. Can
> anyone suggest some areas to check, or if that has ever
> happened to you and how you solved the problem?
>
> All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

For example:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Windows+XP%22+shutdown+restarts+instead

Hits from that simple Google search that may apply to your issue:

Windows XP restarts when you try to shut down your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311806
(*Any* Roxio/Sonic products could be suspect.)

Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299

Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Windows XP Boot Problems & Edits
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_restart.htm

Etc...