From: bob on
My friend has a XP home desktop. His daughter has an iPod that cannot be
detected by the PC. I tried the to un-install the USB root hubs /host
controllers inside the devmgmt. But after that even the HP laserjet become
un-usable ! I cannot re-install the printer driver even a new usb device is
detected when attached, cannot remove the dot4_001 port nor USB001 virtual
printer port in printer server properties. Un-install usb root/ host
controllers without help.. almost give up !!

Any advices is welcome, thanks

From: T Shadow on
"bob" <bobby(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My friend has a XP home desktop. His daughter has an iPod that cannot be
> detected by the PC. I tried the to un-install the USB root hubs /host
> controllers inside the devmgmt. But after that even the HP laserjet become
> un-usable ! I cannot re-install the printer driver even a new usb device
> is detected when attached, cannot remove the dot4_001 port nor USB001
> virtual printer port in printer server properties. Un-install usb root/
> host controllers without help.. almost give up !!
>
> Any advices is welcome, thanks

Not really sure about your message but this is what I do for difficult USB
problems.

Look at Mfg websites for any quirks.

Remove all physical USB devices.
Uninstall >ALL< USB drivers in Add/Remove Programs.
Remove >ALL< USB devices in Device Manager.
If you can't Uninstall anything exit any programs on
the taskbar that might effect it and
end any procesess in Task Manager using USB.

Rescan for devices in Device Manager or Reboot the computer.
Run install programs for devices without XP native drivers before
reattaching hardware unless mfg specifies otherwise.

If need be, run the hardware wizard in Control Panel.

Might also be helpful to look in Device Manager at what IRQs the USB ports
are on and if possibe don't put demanding devices on the same port or a
port that is sharing an IRQ with a demanding device like say the video card.
May not be possible but being aware of it can't hurt.

From: Sano on
"T Shadow" <None(a)void.com> wrote in

> "bob" <bobby(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> My friend has a XP home desktop. His daughter has an iPod that
>> cannot be detected by the PC. I tried the to un-install the USB root
>> hubs /host controllers inside the devmgmt. But after that even the
>> HP laserjet become un-usable ! I cannot re-install the printer
>> driver even a new usb device is detected when attached, cannot
>> remove the dot4_001 port nor USB001 virtual printer port in printer
>> server properties. Un-install usb root/ host controllers without
>> help.. almost give up !!
>>
>> Any advices is welcome, thanks
>
> Not really sure about your message but this is what I do for
> difficult USB problems.
>
> Look at Mfg websites for any quirks.
>
> Remove all physical USB devices.
> Uninstall >ALL< USB drivers in Add/Remove Programs.
> Remove >ALL< USB devices in Device Manager.
> If you can't Uninstall anything exit any programs on
> the taskbar that might effect it and
> end any procesess in Task Manager using USB.
>
> Rescan for devices in Device Manager or Reboot the computer.
> Run install programs for devices without XP native drivers before
> reattaching hardware unless mfg specifies otherwise.
>
> If need be, run the hardware wizard in Control Panel.
>
> Might also be helpful to look in Device Manager at what IRQs the USB
> ports are on and if possibe don't put demanding devices on the same
> port or a port that is sharing an IRQ with a demanding device like
> say the video card. May not be possible but being aware of it can't
> hurt.

I would suggest _also_ unplugging the printer from the mains for a
minute or more. That's been helpful on my HP 1200 LaserJet.

Check that the cords and memory (if any added) are seated properly. The
USB plug is behind a panel on my 1200. HTH