From: Merciadri Luca on
From: Bart on
On May 29, 7:23 pm, Merciadri Luca <Luca.Mercia...(a)student.ulg.ac.be>
wrote:

Hi,

Try resetting the CAS to the defaults:

To return the CAS to its default state, press "right shift" followed
by SYMB (CAT), ALPHA F3(C),
DOWN cursor. With CASCFG selected, press ENTER.

Or by typing CASCFG (double press "ALPHA" to lock ALPHA mode) on the
command line followed by ENTER.

Bart

From: Merciadri Luca on

> Hi,
>
> Try resetting the CAS to the defaults:
>
> To return the CAS to its default state, press "right shift" followed
> by SYMB (CAT), ALPHA F3(C),
> DOWN cursor. With CASCFG selected, press ENTER.
>
> Or by typing CASCFG (double press "ALPHA" to lock ALPHA mode) on the
> command line followed by ENTER.
Thanks. Without doing anything, everything returned to the normal,
i.e. integrating 1/x^2 over [1, +\infty[ did not work yesterday, but
worked today. But thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind. Do you
have any idea of what could have caused the trouble? Thanks.

- --
Merciadri Luca
- --

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not
only plan but also believe. (Anatole France)
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/1/2010 11:05 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> integrating 1/x^2 over [1, +\infinity] did not work yesterday

While calculating numerically,
X^2 would overflow the standard floating-point exponent range
within that argument range.

See flags -20 and -21

Numeric integration is also somewhat inefficient
for integrals whose range interval is infinite,
particularly for a range of -\oo to +\oo
for a function whose largest values are nearer to zero.

At any rate, other than the weather, which rarely affects calculations,
a stored value (e.g. for the variable in the formula,
if by any chance different than the variable you are integrating over),
a flag setting, or the problem entry itself (e.g. "1" vs. "1."
or the lower limit perhaps being 0 rather than 1)
would be more likely to vary between one day and another.

[r->] [OFF]
From: Merciadri Luca on