From: Tom Distler on
1) Does Windows XP provide any support for accessing/using the High
Performace Event Timers (HPET) in the chipset?

2) Will Windoes Vista use the HPET for QueryPerformanceCounter (both uni and
multi-processor HALs)?

3) Does the Windows DDK offer any guidance on writing a driver for the HPET?

I ask these questions because I'm looking for a high resolution timing
solution to monitor performance of a multimedia app. I need a consistant,
reliable timing base to compare against. 1ms resolution is not enough for my
particular application.
From: Pavel A. on
"Tom Distler" wrote:
> 1) Does Windows XP provide any support for accessing/using the High
> Performace Event Timers (HPET) in the chipset?

AFAIK, no such support in XP

> 2) Will Windoes Vista use the HPET for QueryPerformanceCounter (both uni and
> multi-processor HALs)?

There are various rumors. Let's wait...

> 3) Does the Windows DDK offer any guidance on writing a driver for the HPET?

As you mentioned above, HPET support sits in the HAL, so a HAL kit is needed.

From: ijor on
"Pavel A." wrote:

> "Tom Distler" wrote:
> > 3) Does the Windows DDK offer any guidance on writing a driver for the HPET?
>
> As you mentioned above, HPET support sits in the HAL, so a HAL kit is needed.

Why would you need a HAL kit? Of course that you would need something
special for replacing the system QueryPerformanceCounter call. But why can?t
you use the DDK for an HPET driver with a custom API? HPET is an ACPI device.

I am surprised that HPET is barely mentioned by Microsoft. Isn?t HPET a
great solution for a long-standing problem? I?m sure that virtually every
computer running VISTA will have HPET hardware. And probably the same is true
for most systems running 2003 or even XP. Why Microsoft support for HPET is
taking so long?

From: RepublicOfTaiwan@nospam.nospam on
I saw AMD provided a HPET driver for its 8111 chipset. Has anybody tried it?
How does it work?