From: narke on
Hi,

I found from China, I cannot access www.avidemux.org, so I get no means
to read avidemux documents. But my purpose of using avidemux is very
simple: to convert mkv movie to avi format.

Can anyone give me a simple instruction for using avidemux to do this
job? For this moment, I get following questions:

1. how should i use the 'video' and 'audio' boxes located in the left of
the screen?

2. I think I should select 'avi' in the output box, right? but when I
open the 'configure' window for the 'avi' format, i found it will split
the output file. Can this behavior be disabled? I don't want to get a
set of splitted files, since my subtitle file is a single big one.

3. When I played with my mkv file, the avidemux warning me that the file
is detected as H.264, and ask me if or not to use another mode (and, if
so, i will lost frame accuracy). What do I do?

Thanks in advance.

-- Schopenhauer

narke
From: Darklight on
narke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found from China, I cannot access www.avidemux.org, so I get no means
> to read avidemux documents. But my purpose of using avidemux is very
> simple: to convert mkv movie to avi format.
>
> Can anyone give me a simple instruction for using avidemux to do this
> job? For this moment, I get following questions:
>
> 1. how should i use the 'video' and 'audio' boxes located in the left of
> the screen?
>
> 2. I think I should select 'avi' in the output box, right? but when I
> open the 'configure' window for the 'avi' format, i found it will split
> the output file. Can this behavior be disabled? I don't want to get a
> set of splitted files, since my subtitle file is a single big one.
>
> 3. When I played with my mkv file, the avidemux warning me that the file
> is detected as H.264, and ask me if or not to use another mode (and, if
> so, i will lost frame accuracy). What do I do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

You will just have to play with it like the rest of us. if you get some
thing wrong it will tell you.
tell you.

From: thrash.dude on
narke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found from China, I cannot access www.avidemux.org, so I get no means
> to read avidemux documents. But my purpose of using avidemux is very
> simple: to convert mkv movie to avi format.
>
> Can anyone give me a simple instruction for using avidemux to do this
> job? For this moment, I get following questions:
>
> 1. how should i use the 'video' and 'audio' boxes located in the left of
> the screen?
>
> 2. I think I should select 'avi' in the output box, right? but when I
> open the 'configure' window for the 'avi' format, i found it will split
> the output file. Can this behavior be disabled? I don't want to get a
> set of splitted files, since my subtitle file is a single big one.
>
> 3. When I played with my mkv file, the avidemux warning me that the file
> is detected as H.264, and ask me if or not to use another mode (and, if
> so, i will lost frame accuracy). What do I do?
>
> Thanks in advance.

1. Video is to choose the video codec you want to encode to, same as
audio. Sane defaults would be mpeg4-asp xvid, and mp3 (lame) under
audio. The filters section is where you apply resize, crops, and noise
filters if desired.

2. Edit -> Preferences -> Output -> Check Create OpenDML files.
If it is splitting files, you can adjust the bitrate. Usually for SD
(standard definition) mpeg4-asp content (720x576(480) or less) anything
more than 1500kbit/s is waste. Change this under the Video options by
hitting Configure, Encoding Type -> Single Pass -Bitrate -> 1000. Play
around with the settings to see what works best for you. Using a fixed
quant gives you constant quality, but variable bitrate. Files can end up
being pretty large. If you desire output size control, use two pass.

3. Try one or the other. Depends on how the original file was encoded.

You might want to look at something like xvidenc or divxenc. Nice little
shell scripts. There's an x264enc as well.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidenc/files/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/divxenc/files/

http://www.vcdhelp.com has some guides for avidemux. Considering
avidemux is cross platform, the guides should be universal.
From: narke on
On 2010-06-02, thrash.dude <blah(a)blah> wrote:
> narke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found from China, I cannot access www.avidemux.org, so I get no means
>> to read avidemux documents. But my purpose of using avidemux is very
>> simple: to convert mkv movie to avi format.
>>
>> Can anyone give me a simple instruction for using avidemux to do this
>> job? For this moment, I get following questions:
>>
>> 1. how should i use the 'video' and 'audio' boxes located in the left of
>> the screen?
>>
>> 2. I think I should select 'avi' in the output box, right? but when I
>> open the 'configure' window for the 'avi' format, i found it will split
>> the output file. Can this behavior be disabled? I don't want to get a
>> set of splitted files, since my subtitle file is a single big one.
>>
>> 3. When I played with my mkv file, the avidemux warning me that the file
>> is detected as H.264, and ask me if or not to use another mode (and, if
>> so, i will lost frame accuracy). What do I do?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> 1. Video is to choose the video codec you want to encode to, same as
> audio. Sane defaults would be mpeg4-asp xvid, and mp3 (lame) under
> audio. The filters section is where you apply resize, crops, and noise
> filters if desired.
>
> 2. Edit -> Preferences -> Output -> Check Create OpenDML files.
> If it is splitting files, you can adjust the bitrate. Usually for SD
> (standard definition) mpeg4-asp content (720x576(480) or less) anything
> more than 1500kbit/s is waste. Change this under the Video options by
> hitting Configure, Encoding Type -> Single Pass -Bitrate -> 1000. Play
> around with the settings to see what works best for you. Using a fixed
> quant gives you constant quality, but variable bitrate. Files can end up
> being pretty large. If you desire output size control, use two pass.
>
> 3. Try one or the other. Depends on how the original file was encoded.
>
> You might want to look at something like xvidenc or divxenc. Nice little
> shell scripts. There's an x264enc as well.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidenc/files/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/divxenc/files/
>
> http://www.vcdhelp.com has some guides for avidemux. Considering
> avidemux is cross platform, the guides should be universal.

Thanks for the explaination and such many useful links!

-- Schopenhauer

narke