From: fred on
Hello,

Well I seem to have screwed up X. I have Slack 13.0. When I startx,
(no matter which desktop) the mouse and keyboard lockup. When I kill the
processes from a remote terminal, I'm left with messages that ask if Hal
is running? I checked and it's not running. If I try to start it, I get -
-----------------
pogo:/etc/rc.d# ./rc.hald restart
Starting system message bus: /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin/dbus-dae
mon --system
Unknown username "haldaemon" in message bus configuration file
Failed to start message bus: Could not get UID and GID for username "messagebus"

Starting HAL daemon: /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes
---------------

After which there is still no process named hald running.

What package(s) can I uninstall and then re-install?
What can I restore from backup?
Is there something simple?

Thanks in advance,
Fred

From: Grant on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 10:20:23 -0500, fred(a)mongo.net wrote:

>Hello,
>
> Well I seem to have screwed up X. I have Slack 13.0. When I startx,
>(no matter which desktop) the mouse and keyboard lockup. When I kill the
>processes from a remote terminal, I'm left with messages that ask if Hal
>is running? I checked and it's not running. If I try to start it, I get -
>-----------------
>pogo:/etc/rc.d# ./rc.hald restart
>Starting system message bus: /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin/dbus-dae
>mon --system
>Unknown username "haldaemon" in message bus configuration file
>Failed to start message bus: Could not get UID and GID for username "messagebus"
>
>Starting HAL daemon: /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes
>---------------
>
>After which there is still no process named hald running.
>
>What package(s) can I uninstall and then re-install?
>What can I restore from backup?
>Is there something simple?

No need to uninstall, do a full reinstall with (if I recall correctly):

upgradepkg --reinstall /home/mirror/slackware-13.0/slackware/*/*.t?z

followed by the patches again:

upgradepkg --reinstall /home/mirror/slackware-13.0/patches/packages/*.t?z

Replace my '/home/mirror/' path with the location of your files.

Then you need to look at the various *.conf.new (or is it some other
suffix?) to see which ones should be used in place of existing .confs.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: Steve Masta on
fred(a)mongo.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well I seem to have screwed up X. I have Slack 13.0. When I startx,
> (no matter which desktop) the mouse and keyboard lockup. When I kill the
> processes from a remote terminal, I'm left with messages that ask if Hal
> is running? I checked and it's not running. If I try to start it, I get -
> -----------------
> pogo:/etc/rc.d# ./rc.hald restart
> Starting system message bus: /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin/dbus-dae
> mon --system
> Unknown username "haldaemon" in message bus configuration file
> Failed to start message bus: Could not get UID and GID for username "messagebus"
>
> Starting HAL daemon: /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes
>
> After which there is still no process named hald running.
>
> What package(s) can I uninstall and then re-install?
> What can I restore from backup?
> Is there something simple?

The users haldaemon and messagebus are part of the
slackware/a/etc-13.0-i486-2.txz package. If that got borked you may be
better off with a full reinstall as Grant suggested.

Steve