From: Paul on
On 05/29/10 10:34 AM, Paul wrote:
> I am trying to compile a leaner kernel than the huge kernel default. I
> am using kernel 2.6.33.5 (using 2.6.33.4 causes kernel even if I don't
> boot with the new kernel).
>
> I am using the same .config settings that I have used in the past. From
> the error message I would assume that the problem is with the reiserfs
> file system, but that should work as configured (it has for years now).
>
> I think the problem may be with the SATA drivers.
>
> The error message is:
>
> VFS: cannot open root device "802" or unknown-block(8,2)
>
> Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(8,2)
>
> The system has an ASUS M2N-E mobo with nVidia nForce 570 Ultra chipset.
> Any ideas out there?
>
> Thanks

Thank you all for the suggestions. I recompiled several times. With the
same effect.

Finally I used the huge .config from kernel 2.5.33.4. The kernel worked.
Then I removed anything I didn't need...that took several more compiles.
I now have the kernel I want...thing is, it is the same as the original
..config I had used before.

BTW, "ATA/ATAI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED)" is not included. The
SATA/PATA drivers work well. I did not run "oldconfig".

From: Grant on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 07:23:58 -0400, Paul <pminottawa(a)yahoo.ca> wrote:

>On 05/29/10 10:34 AM, Paul wrote:
>> I am trying to compile a leaner kernel than the huge kernel default. I
>> am using kernel 2.6.33.5 (using 2.6.33.4 causes kernel even if I don't
>> boot with the new kernel).
>>
>> I am using the same .config settings that I have used in the past. From
>> the error message I would assume that the problem is with the reiserfs
>> file system, but that should work as configured (it has for years now).
>>
>> I think the problem may be with the SATA drivers.
>>
>> The error message is:
>>
>> VFS: cannot open root device "802" or unknown-block(8,2)
>>
>> Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>> unknown-block(8,2)
>>
>> The system has an ASUS M2N-E mobo with nVidia nForce 570 Ultra chipset.
>> Any ideas out there?
>>
>> Thanks
>
>Thank you all for the suggestions. I recompiled several times. With the
>same effect.
>
>Finally I used the huge .config from kernel 2.5.33.4. The kernel worked.
>Then I removed anything I didn't need...that took several more compiles.
>I now have the kernel I want...thing is, it is the same as the original
>.config I had used before.

?? Something must have changed? Did you 'diff' your old .config with
the new one?

>BTW, "ATA/ATAI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED)" is not included. The
>SATA/PATA drivers work well. I did not run "oldconfig".

Oh well, looks like it's time for me to let go of oldconfig :)

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/

Pages: 1