From: Jonathan Kirwan on
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:34:29 GMT, nico(a)puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote:

>Creating a PCI implementation is difficult, but there are numerous
>ways to get a PCI core or bridge (like the PLX chips). No need to
>bother with tedious timing.
>The PCI specification can be downloaded from several sites. It just
>comes down to a proper PCB layout on the PCI side.
>
>The fastest way to get started with PCI is using a PLX chip.

It's just not a hobbyist thing, frankly. The ISA is dirt easy and anyone can do
it.

Jon
From: Rene Tschaggelar on
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:34:29 GMT, nico(a)puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote:
>

>>Creating a PCI implementation is difficult, but there are numerous
>>ways to get a PCI core or bridge (like the PLX chips). No need to
>>bother with tedious timing.
>>The PCI specification can be downloaded from several sites. It just
>>comes down to a proper PCB layout on the PCI side.
>>
>>The fastest way to get started with PCI is using a PLX chip.
>

> It's just not a hobbyist thing, frankly. The ISA is dirt easy and anyone can do
> it.

Thanks for the hardware intro.
How about writing a driver ? There won't be single
stepping through code I'm afraid...

Rene
From: Andrew Holme on

http://www.fpga4fun.com/PCI.html

From: Lasse Langwadt Christensen on
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:34:29 GMT, nico(a)puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote:
>

>>Creating a PCI implementation is difficult, but there are numerous
>>ways to get a PCI core or bridge (like the PLX chips). No need to
>>bother with tedious timing.
>>The PCI specification can be downloaded from several sites. It just
>>comes down to a proper PCB layout on the PCI side.
>>
>>The fastest way to get started with PCI is using a PLX chip.
>

> It's just not a hobbyist thing, frankly. The ISA is dirt easy and anyone can do
> it.
>
> Jon

AFAIK the PLX chips have a rather straight-forward backend bus, and I think some
of them can even do PCI to ISA if you really want to, so apart from the requirement that
you need to have a decent PCB if you want it to work reliably it shouldn't
be that difficult and PLX most likely have an app-note on how the PCB should look.

-Lasse

From: Steve on
<Nico> wrote:

> Interfacing via ISA bus is very easy but slow and it is getting difficult to
> find ISA based PCs.

For the sake of argument... ISA boards are still very available in the
industrial market, and I think will be for many years. Cost is an issue
there, however. Since you are looking to learn, it is a good entry level
bus. Agreed, ISA is not exactly up to date technology.

> USB bus easy to use but its packet stucture and therefore the latency is an
> issue for some real-time applications.
>
> So, I want to learn how to build and work/play with PCI interfaces. Can you
> suggest what is the easiest and low-cost way of involving with the PCI bus
> to learn with hands on experiments?

Nico, you didn't say what your price point is.

Someone else prove me wrong, but this is the lowest cost PCI proto board
I've seen. $150 USD. But wait -- there's more -- it includes USB, too.
It is CPLD based, so in theory you can use it for some other purposes
as well.... not as many options available as with a full FPGA, but a good
trade for the cost.

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-maxii-1270.html

Thanks, Steve

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last