From: Rod Speed on
groupware(a)rocketmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 4, 9:41 am, John Doue <notw...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Rod Speed wrote:
>>> Vanguard <n...(a)mail.invalid> wrote

>>> No it wasnt.

>>> There was no hardware encryption on the hard drive with the ATA
>>> spec.

>>> The drafts are readily available for free and that detail didnt
>>> change.

>>> Yep, and it says absolutely NOTHING about any ATA spec encryption.

>>> Irrelevant to your pig ignorant claims about ENCRYPTION.

>>> Pity the user is welcome to change that and obviously should do so.

>>> Pity that only allows you to ERASE the drive, not access the DATA.

>>> No it doesnt if you actually have a clue and change that master
>>> password.

>>> Thats for a different reason entirely, because its actually
>>> possible to bypass that password protection when you have physical
>>> access to the drive.

>>> Anyone with a clue has noticed that you mangled the story
>>> completely.

>>> You dont even know that the OP is entering the password correctly.

>>> No it isnt.

>>> No they dont.

>>> He didnt say anything like that. The ATA standard makes it very
>>> clear how it works.

>>> VERY unlikely that it would be that pathetically implemented.
>>
>>> Because that would defeat the whole point of the ATA security
>>> feature.

>>> Irrelevant to the ATA security feature.

>>> Wrong again. You'd get a different result if that was the problem.

>>> Pity that is irrelevant when the AUTO drive type is used.

>>> Pity his isnt really old hardware.
>>
>> Rod,
>>
>> Those links are interesting but it would be nice to know when they
>> were written. They do not seem to relate to today's hard drive
>> issues.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> --
>> John Doue
>
> Thanks for all the replys (and discussion)
>
> To answer a few questions:
> - the hardrive is a Seagate Momentus 7200.1
> - the original laptop is an LG and uses Phoenix Bios
> - the hardrive is locked using ATA Password locking and not encrypted

> Any further thoughts on why the HP laptop doesn't recognise the
> password are appreciated.

You've basically got to test the two obvious possibilitys, that there
is something about the different keyboard that matters, or that you
have managed to forget the original password, or the fine detail of it.

The obvious way to try the keyboard possibility is to try
it in a laptop with the same keyboard as the original.

From: nemo_outis on
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:52mudqF1po6itU1
@mid.individual.net:

>> Thanks for all the replys (and discussion)
>>
>> To answer a few questions:
>> - the hardrive is a Seagate Momentus 7200.1
>> - the original laptop is an LG and uses Phoenix Bios
>> - the hardrive is locked using ATA Password locking and not encrypted
>
>> Any further thoughts on why the HP laptop doesn't recognise the
>> password are appreciated.
>
> You've basically got to test the two obvious possibilitys, that there
> is something about the different keyboard that matters, or that you
> have managed to forget the original password, or the fine detail of it.
>
> The obvious way to try the keyboard possibility is to try
> it in a laptop with the same keyboard as the original.
>
>> Prior to posting I had researched this quite a bit and have checked
>> most of the links for geting to the Master password and will probably
>> try this in due course if I can;t solve the user password issue.

For computers in which the BIOS does not provide an interface to the ata
password, you may wish to instead try the software program ATAPWD to
attempt to revive the drive. To obtain atapwd and read a discussion of the
issues, you can visit:

http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html

Regards,

From: Vanguard on
"Rod Speed" wrote in message news:52lnnhF1p6r6cU1(a)mid.individual.net...

> Vanguard <no(a)mail.invalid> wrote
>
>> Unfortunately it costs to get copies of the ATA specs from
>> http://www.t13.org/
>
> The drafts are readily available for free and that detail didnt
> change.

They are? Got a URL for the free copy of the full specs for all ATA
revisions? What I see at
http://www.t13.org/Standards/Default.aspx?DocumentType=3&DocumentStage=2
is a list (but no links for them) and the comment "Copies of published
standards may be purchased from: ANSI, ...". Where are the free copies
then? When I Google around looking for ATA specs, I end up following
links that take me back to t13.org and they redirect you to ANSI where
they charge for them ($30 apiece for each revision of the AT Attachment
spec, and ATA-7 has 3 volume where each is $30 or all 3 for $80).

> Yep, and it says absolutely NOTHING about any ATA spec encryption.

Sorry, meant ATA spec hard drive password locking. I'm sure the spec
calls it something else. According to
http://www.heise.de/ct/english/05/08/172/, it's called "Security Feature
Set". It is part of the ATA spec.

From: Rod Speed on
Vanguard <no(a)mail.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Vanguard <no(a)mail.invalid> wrote

>>> Unfortunately it costs to get copies of the ATA specs from http://www.t13.org/

>> The drafts are readily available for free and that detail didnt change.

> They are?

Yep.

> Got a URL for the free copy of the full specs for all ATA revisions?

I never said anything about all ATA revisions.

http://www.t13.org/Documents/Default.aspx?DocumentType=4&DocumentStage=2
http://www.t13.org/Documents/Default.aspx?DocumentType=4&DocumentStage=1

> When I Google around looking for ATA specs, I end up following links that take me back to t13.org
> and they redirect you to ANSI where they charge for them ($30 apiece for each revision of the AT
> Attachment spec, and ATA-7 has 3 volume where each is $30 or all 3 for $80).

You need to work on your google skills
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=ATA%2FATAPI+draft
produces those drafts right at the top.

>> Yep, and it says absolutely NOTHING about any ATA spec encryption.

> Sorry, meant ATA spec hard drive password locking. I'm sure the spec calls it something else.
> According to
> http://www.heise.de/ct/english/05/08/172/, it's called "Security Feature Set". It is part of the
> ATA spec.

Pity it includes nothing about drive encryption.

From: Vanguard on
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Vanguard <no(a)mail.invalid> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Vanguard <no(a)mail.invalid> wrote

>>> The drafts are readily available for free and that detail didnt
>>> change.
>
>> They are?
>
> Yep.
>
>> Got a URL for the free copy of the full specs for all ATA revisions?
>
> I never said anything about all ATA revisions.
>
>> What I see at
>> http://www.t13.org/Standards/Default.aspx?DocumentType=3&DocumentStage=2
>> is a list (but no links for them) and the comment "Copies of
>> published standards may be purchased from: ANSI, ...". Where are the
>> free copies then?
>
> http://www.t13.org/Documents/Default.aspx?DocumentType=4&DocumentStage=2
> http://www.t13.org/Documents/Default.aspx?DocumentType=4&DocumentStage=1

I was asking about the actual ratified and approved specifications, not
drafts of proposals for those specs. I don't believe "drafts" are the
actual standard. I had asked about getting the standards spec. I
didn't realizer you were pointing at a list that contained some drafts
that proposed those specs. Some entries are just 2-page descriptions or
placeholders, hardly what would be called a standard specification.
Some are docs containing corrections, so hardly a specification. Some
are just entries in the table listing but with no link to an actual doc.
The specs still cost money.