From: Steve Giannoni on
Dell Dimension 2400 with a Celeron CPU running Windows XP Home. The
hardrive has occasional accesses even when apparently nothing is going
on. What is this ? ...
From: Sjouke Burry on
Steve Giannoni wrote:
> Dell Dimension 2400 with a Celeron CPU running Windows XP Home. The
> hardrive has occasional accesses even when apparently nothing is going
> on. What is this ? ...
Check for indexing.

My computer>drive>properties, almost at the bottom,

compressing..........
and
allow indexing.........

both of which I have disabled.

Do the check for each drive you have.
From: Steve Giannoni on
Thanks for responding.

Both were already disabled ...

From: Sjouke Burry on
Steve Giannoni wrote:
> Thanks for responding.
>
> Both were already disabled ...
>
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 22:54:57 +0200, Sjouke Burry
> <burrynulnulfour(a)ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote:
>
>> Steve Giannoni wrote:
>>> Dell Dimension 2400 with a Celeron CPU running Windows XP Home. The
>>> hardrive has occasional accesses even when apparently nothing is going
>>> on. What is this ? ...
>> Check for indexing.
>>
>> My computer>drive>properties, almost at the bottom,
>>
>> compressing..........
>> and
>> allow indexing.........
>>
>> both of which I have disabled.
>>
>> Do the check for each drive you have.
In which case:
ctrl/alt/del for the manager,leave it onscreen, and whenever
the diskio starts, check the diskmanager to see what programs
are active.
In my case it often is the virusprotection using the idle time to
do some scanning.
Another is the M$ automatic update scanning the update state of the
computer, or downloading them.
I use "ask me" when there is a new batch of updates, some
of them I dont want.
From: Tinkerer on

"Sjouke Burry" <burrynulnulfour(a)ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote in message
> Steve Giannoni wrote:
>> Thanks for responding.
>>
>> Both were already disabled ...
>>
>> On Sun, 30 May 2010 22:54:57 +0200, Sjouke Burry
>> <burrynulnulfour(a)ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote:

>>> Check for indexing.
>>>
>>> My computer>drive>properties, almost at the bottom,
>>>
>>> compressing..........
>>> and
>>> allow indexing.........
>>>
>>> both of which I have disabled.
>>>
>>> Do the check for each drive you have.
> In which case:
> ctrl/alt/del for the manager,leave it onscreen, and whenever
> the diskio starts, check the diskmanager to see what programs
> are active.
> In my case it often is the virusprotection using the idle time to
> do some scanning.
> Another is the M$ automatic update scanning the update state of the
> computer, or downloading them.
> I use "ask me" when there is a new batch of updates, some
> of them I dont want.

I also use "Ask me" but still, on occasions, there are unexpected ones
demanding to be installeed when you shut down, with no way of seeing what
they are.
--
Tinkerer