From: Thomas on
I have seen this happen as well with Windows 7 Ultimate. Windows XP mode is only available on Win7 Ultimate or Enterprise in either the 32 bit or 64 bit edition.

If you have hardware Virtualization turned on the in BIOS this should fix the problem but sometimes it does not.

VMware requires hardware assisted VT to allow x64 bit VM's to be used. My system, an HP M9340F Pavilion Elite will allow 64 bit vm's but Windows XP mode doesn't work.

I also have a 64 bit laptop with Win7 Ultimate x64 and it runs XP mode just fine.

The bottom line for me is that Win 7 XP mode does not correctly detect whether VT is enabled. If it wasn't enabled VMware Workstation would let me know.

Ultimu wrote:

Hardware-assisted Virtualization "not available"
13-Jun-08

All,

last week I received my brand new PC (Dell OptiPlex 755 with E8400 Intel
Core 2 Duo), and I'm not able to get Hardware-assisted Virtualization running
on Virtual PC 2007 SP1.
My host system is a Vista Business x64 with 4 GB RAM, and all Virtualization
options are enabled in the BIOS. I even did a BIOS Firmware update to the
latest - no change. I read, that sometimes you need to do a cold boot in
order to make Virtualization changes in the BIOS work -> no change.

Am I missing something? What else could be the reason for VPC not to allow
me doing hardware virtualization? I found a tool on the internet
http://www.grc.com/securable.htm that I ran on my PC, and the result was "64,
Yes, Yes" which means that my 64-bit OS is able to do hardware virtualization.

Thanks for your help guys!

Thomas

On Friday, June 13, 2008 9:27 AM
Ultimu wrote:

[...]

On Friday, June 13, 2008 6:36 PM
Steve Jain wrote:

Re: Hardware-assisted Virtualization "not available"
On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 06:27:00 -0700, Ultimus
<Ultimus(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Unfortunately, one BIOS update might not be enough. On my Toshiba
M400, it took Toshiba 4 or 5 BIOS updates to get HW virtualization to
work without crashing the host PC.
Try contacting Dell support and see if this is a known issue.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP

On Tuesday, June 17, 2008 7:43 AM
Robert Comer wrote:

Is the VM running or in a saved state?
Is the VM running or in a saved state? it is normally grayed out in
those cases. (Because you cannot change it unless it is fully shut
down.)

--
Bob Comer

On Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:16 AM
Fran wrote:

Re: Hardware-assisted Virtualization "not available"
"Steve Jain" wrote:

Looks like a bug in Virtual PC imho, rather than a bios problem. I
installed the version 6.0.192.0 and hardware virtualization worked to start
with, but now it says that "hardware virtualization is not available on this
computer". I even have a virtual machine with the setting enabled, yet now
it is greyed out.

My processor is a Q6600 with hardware virtualization enabled in the bios.
GRC SecurAble confirms this, but does mention something about problems with
64-bit Windows and 32-bit virtualization code.

On Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:47 AM
Fran wrote:

Re: Hardware-assisted Virtualization "not available"
"Frank" wrote:

Hmmm as a follow up, I have tested my configuration (Vista Ultimate X64) in
VMWare and there is either a problem with the bios (newest version XFX 680i)
or with Windows. I am unable to boot an x64 version of CentOS, "CPU does not
support long mode," whatever that means. VT is definitely enabled in the
bios, although perhaps it doesn't work properly. This page may also be of
interest:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1901

Strange that VPC worked with VT support to start with though.

On Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:50 AM
Fran wrote:

Re: Hardware-assisted Virtualization "not available"
"Robert Comer" wrote:

No unfortunately that is not the case Bob, but thanks for the suggestion.
It also gives the same disabled message when going into File, Options, VT
support.

On Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:36 PM
Steve Jain wrote:

Re: Hardware-assisted Virtualization "not available"
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:16:00 -0700, Frank
<Frank(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

If it was a bug in VPC, why would a BIOS update from the vendor fix
it?
There've been a lot of issues with BIOS implementations of HW.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
http://vpc.essjae.com/
I do not work for Microsoft.

On Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:50 PM
Robert Comer wrote:

Worth a shot.
Worth a shot.

You might try a BIOS reset to factory settings, then enable VT again.
I had to do that on my HP.

--
Bob Comer

On Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:50 PM
Steve Jain wrote:

Re: Hardware-assisted Virtualization "not available"
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:16:00 -0700, Frank
<Frank(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

After you updated your BIOS have you done a power cycle, not just a
reboot? VT usually requires a power cycle, a reset/reboot won't clear
the settings and enable it.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
http://vpc.essjae.com/
I do not work for Microsoft.

On Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:02 AM
news.ziggo.nl wrote:

Re: Hardware-assisted Virtualization "not available"
On my Intel motherboard I have a similar problem: after a compleet
shutdown an startup VT works perfectly (both in Virtual PC as in VMWare)
However: whenever my PC wakes up from hybernation it no longer supports
VT, not until I do a compleet shutdown again.

On Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:35 AM
Robert Comer wrote:

That's fairly common and it's a BIOS issue.
That's fairly common and it is a BIOS issue.

--
Bob Comer

C# : Image operations performer
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bbace980-2554-48d7-9421-73dc29ed3b21/c--image-operations-per.aspx