From: M Bourgon on
I just built a new machine and have been plagued with crashes. When I
first ran MEMTEST on it, everything came out okay. Both sticks in
bank 1 & 2 work fine (except for one set of errors when running it for
12 hours), and if they're in 3 & 4 they work fine, but in banks 2 & 4
I get errors. If I try one stick at a time in bank 1 or 2 they look
fine too.

How, without buying new hardware, can I determine if it's the
motherboard or the RAM that's having issues?

FOXCONN MARS
G.SKILL 2x1gb RAM
Intel e7500
From: Kent_Diego on
It could be RAM, motherboard or power supply. Sometimes the power supply
connector does not make good contact and gets better if moved. Do you have
the latest BIOS for your motherboard? It has been my experience that Memtest
errors were always the RAM. Can you over volt the RAM or lower the frequency
to verify? "Replace with known good" is the only way to really trouble shoot
this.

Kent

From: Paul on
M Bourgon wrote:
> I just built a new machine and have been plagued with crashes. When I
> first ran MEMTEST on it, everything came out okay. Both sticks in
> bank 1 & 2 work fine (except for one set of errors when running it for
> 12 hours), and if they're in 3 & 4 they work fine, but in banks 2 & 4
> I get errors. If I try one stick at a time in bank 1 or 2 they look
> fine too.
>
> How, without buying new hardware, can I determine if it's the
> motherboard or the RAM that's having issues?
>

> FOXCONN MARS
> G.SKILL 2x1gb RAM
> Intel e7500

Is your BIOS flashed up to date ? It looks like their last BIOS was
issued a year ago. Sometimes a different BIOS can give entirely
different observable stability. Read the warnings in the flash
descriptions here, as to what Foxconn tools not to use, to update
the flash. (There appears to be an 8 pin serial SPI flash chip,
and for a change, it is socketed. That is what you'd need to
change out, if you brick the motherboard while updating the flash.)

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx?models=en-us0000338&category=C000000001&series=en-us0000002&keywords=&sort=BIOS

Main Page.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000338

CPUSupport page. The E7500 isn't in the chart that I can see.

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=mb&model=MARS&cputype=

Paul
From: Fishface on
M Bourgon wrote:

> I just built a new machine and have been plagued with crashes.
> When I first ran MEMTEST on it, everything came out okay. Both
> sticks in bank 1 & 2 work fine (except for one set of errors when
> running it for 12 hours), and if they're in 3 & 4 they work fine, but
> in banks 2 & 4 I get errors. If I try one stick at a time in bank 1 or
> 2 they look fine too.

For dual channel operation and maximum performance, you want
to have the two sticks in like-colored slots, usually 1+3 or 2+4. As
I recall, you purchased DDR2 1066 memory. Maybe these?
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231144

They're specified to require 2.0 to 2.1 volts at rated speed. All the
motherboard BIOS configuration settings seem to vary, but it's
generally very easy to set the memory multiplier wrong and be
running memory out-of-spec. Download CPU-Z and make sure
your memory is running within specification. You can view the
SPD information with this tool, also.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

The SPD may set it to run at lower voltage and at slower speed so
that it will work initially in all motherboards. To run at rated speed,
it is often necessary to manually adjust the voltage, speed, and
timing.

> How, without buying new hardware, can I determine if it's the
> motherboard or the RAM that's having issues?

Download and run the Prime95 torture test.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

If this test produces errors, and your memory is running within spec
and getting enough voltage, you might try bumping your cpu voltage
(vCore) a tad.
From: larry moe 'n curly on
M Bourgon wrote:

> I just built a new machine and have been plagued with crashes. When I
> first ran MEMTEST on it, everything came out okay. Both sticks in
> bank 1 & 2 work fine (except for one set of errors when running it for
> 12 hours), and if they're in 3 & 4 they work fine, but in banks 2 & 4
> I get errors. If I try one stick at a time in bank 1 or 2 they look
> fine too.
>
> How, without buying new hardware, can I determine if it's the
> motherboard or the RAM that's having issues?
>
> FOXCONN MARS
> G.SKILL 2x1gb RAM
> Intel e7500

Plugging the modules into banks 2 & 4 puts the mobo into dual-channel
memory mode (as would using banks 1 & 3 together), which often brings
out errors that don't appear in single-channel mode. Try raising the
memory voltage from the normal 1.8V to 1.9-2.0V, increasing the drive
strength of the memory signals, or slowing some memory timings. I'd
try the memory timings first, notably the 1T/2T command timing because
it often works and has the least effect on speed of all the timing
settings (barely measurable). Slower timings can be written
permanently into the SPD chip of each module with an SPD editor like
SPDtool, but use it on only one memory module at a time and test the
module extensively before editing the other module because if
something goes wrong, you'll need the other module and its still-good
SPD information to boot the computer and restore the original SPD.
Don't ask how I learned this. :(

G.Skill, like most brands of memory, is usually made with no-name
chips, and I wouldn't buy it except from dealers that are generous
with exchanges and 100% cash refunds and pay for the shipping both
ways. So I buy such memory only from local dealers, like Fry's,
Staples, OfficeMax, and Office Depot, and would buy only Crucial
memory from a non-local dealer. BTW if you buy Kingston and get a
dud, their replacements seem to be a lot more reliable than the
originals sold by dealers.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: System Utilities