From: Scott on
C. Haros discovered what is now known as the Farey sequence 14 years
before Farey.

Does anybody know what the C. stands for?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers, Scott
From: Gerry Myerson on
In article
<defa96cd-fdc6-4d35-b06d-7b3fa1ef4ab4(a)p9g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
Scott <sguthery(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> C. Haros discovered what is now known as the Farey sequence 14 years
> before Farey.
>
> Does anybody know what the C. stands for?
>
> Thanks for any insight.

No insight, but the full citation is,

C. Haros, Tables pour evaluer une fraction ordinaire avec autand de
decimals qu'on voudra; et pour trover la fraction ordinaire la plus
simple, et qui a approche sensiblement d'une fraction decimale, J.
Ecole Polytechn. 4 (1802), 364-368.

There may possibly be some information in

M. Bruckheimer and A. Arcavi, Farey series and Pick's area theorem, The
Math. Intelligencer 17 (2) (1995), 64-67.

--
Gerry Myerson (gerry(a)maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)
From: David Bernier on
Gerry Myerson wrote:
> In article
> <defa96cd-fdc6-4d35-b06d-7b3fa1ef4ab4(a)p9g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
> Scott <sguthery(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> C. Haros discovered what is now known as the Farey sequence 14 years
>> before Farey.
>>
>> Does anybody know what the C. stands for?
>>
>> Thanks for any insight.
>
> No insight, but the full citation is,
>
> C. Haros, Tables pour evaluer une fraction ordinaire avec autand de
> decimals qu'on voudra; et pour trover la fraction ordinaire la plus
> simple, et qui a approche sensiblement d'une fraction decimale, J.
> Ecole Polytechn. 4 (1802), 364-368.
>
> There may possibly be some information in
>
> M. Bruckheimer and A. Arcavi, Farey series and Pick's area theorem, The
> Math. Intelligencer 17 (2) (1995), 64-67.

From Gallica, the French National (Digital) Library, I was able to
download "Journal de l'ecole polytechnique" from 1802.

Around pages 358 to 365, there are Notices of "ouvrages" or
monographs, generally in physics and mathematics.

Many surnames are preceded by "C.en", with 'en' in smaller-size type and
elevated, a bit like an exponent; there are:
C.en Garnier , C.en Fourier (just back from Egypt),
" C.ens Monge et Hachette " and so on.

Also, month names of the "Revolutionary calendar" are used:
thermidor, frimaire and so on. I believe I remember from looking at
old books around the time when this calendar was used reading
"Citoyen this", "Citoyen that", etc. Citoyen translates
into English as citizen. So it could be that C. Haros stands
for Citizen Haros.

David Bernier
From: Gerry Myerson on
In article <h8s7iq0tq4(a)news3.newsguy.com>,
David Bernier <david250(a)videotron.ca> wrote:

> Gerry Myerson wrote:
> > In article
> > <defa96cd-fdc6-4d35-b06d-7b3fa1ef4ab4(a)p9g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
> > Scott <sguthery(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> C. Haros discovered what is now known as the Farey sequence 14 years
> >> before Farey.
> >>
> >> Does anybody know what the C. stands for?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any insight.
> >
> > No insight, but the full citation is,
> >
> > C. Haros, Tables pour evaluer une fraction ordinaire avec autand de
> > decimals qu'on voudra; et pour trover la fraction ordinaire la plus
> > simple, et qui a approche sensiblement d'une fraction decimale, J.
> > Ecole Polytechn. 4 (1802), 364-368.
> >
> > There may possibly be some information in
> >
> > M. Bruckheimer and A. Arcavi, Farey series and Pick's area theorem, The
> > Math. Intelligencer 17 (2) (1995), 64-67.
> >

> From Gallica, the French National (Digital) Library, I was able to
> download "Journal de l'ecole polytechnique" from 1802.
>
> Around pages 358 to 365, there are Notices of "ouvrages" or
> monographs, generally in physics and mathematics.
>
> Many surnames are preceded by "C.en", with 'en' in smaller-size type and
> elevated, a bit like an exponent; there are:
> C.en Garnier , C.en Fourier (just back from Egypt),
> " C.ens Monge et Hachette " and so on.
>
> Also, month names of the "Revolutionary calendar" are used:
> thermidor, frimaire and so on. I believe I remember from looking at
> old books around the time when this calendar was used reading
> "Citoyen this", "Citoyen that", etc. Citoyen translates
> into English as citizen. So it could be that C. Haros stands
> for Citizen Haros.
>
> David Bernier

That's terrific. I remember thinking that something from a French
journal a few decades later had been written by an M Lebesgue,
until I noticed that all the authors seemed to have first initial M,
at which point it dawned on me that M stood for Monsieur, rather
than for a first name. So maybe we now know what C stands for,
but we still don't know Haros' first name!

--
Gerry Myerson (gerry(a)maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)
From: secondmouse on
On 17 Sep, 06:30, Gerry Myerson <ge...(a)maths.mq.edi.ai.i2u4email>
wrote:
> In article <h8s7iq0...(a)news3.newsguy.com>,
>  David Bernier <david...(a)videotron.ca> wrote:
>

> > Gerry Myerson wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <defa96cd-fdc6-4d35-b06d-7b3fa1ef4...(a)p9g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,

> > > No insight, but the full citation is,
>
> > > C. Haros, Tables pour evaluer une fraction ordinaire avec autand de
> > > decimals qu'on voudra; et pour trover la fraction ordinaire la plus
> > > simple, et qui a approche sensiblement d'une fraction decimale, J.
> > > Ecole Polytechn. 4 (1802), 364-368.
>
> > > There may possibly be some information in
>
> > > M. Bruckheimer and A. Arcavi, Farey series and Pick's area theorem, The
> > > Math. Intelligencer 17 (2) (1995), 64-67.
>
> >  From Gallica, the French National (Digital) Library, I was able to
> > download "Journal de l'ecole polytechnique" from 1802.
>
> > Around pages 358 to 365, there are Notices of "ouvrages" or
> > monographs, generally in physics and mathematics.
>
> > Many surnames are preceded by "C.en", with 'en' in smaller-size type and
> > elevated, a bit like an exponent; there are:
> > C.en Garnier , C.en Fourier (just back from Egypt),
> > " C.ens Monge et Hachette "  and so on.
>
> > Also, month names of the "Revolutionary calendar" are used:
> > thermidor, frimaire and so on.  I believe I remember from looking at
> > old books around the time when this calendar was used reading
> > "Citoyen this", "Citoyen that", etc.  Citoyen translates
> > into English as citizen.  So it could be that C. Haros stands
> > for Citizen Haros.
>
> > David Bernier
>
> That's terrific. I remember thinking that something from a French
> journal a few decades later had been written by an M Lebesgue,
> until I noticed that all the authors seemed to have first initial M,
> at which point it dawned on me that M stood for Monsieur, rather
> than for a first name. So maybe we now know what C stands for,
> but we still don't know Haros' first name!
>
> --
> Gerry Myerson (ge...(a)maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)- Hide quoted text -

I think the C. stands for Charles if the following is to be believed:
http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~zeilberg/KnuthMiddleNames.html