From: Minh Tran-Le on
Just trying to figure out if it is possible to change:
OLD: P5E3-Deluxe with Intel Q6600
NEW: P7H57 with Intel I7

SAME: disk drive
SAME: OS Win7 64bit
SAME: Graphic card

Will I need to do a fresh install and have to reinstall all my
applications or could just do a repair and maybe re-activate ?

Thanks.
From: Peter Johnson on
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:16:46 -0700, Minh Tran-Le <tranle(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Just trying to figure out if it is possible to change:
>OLD: P5E3-Deluxe with Intel Q6600
>NEW: P7H57 with Intel I7
>
>SAME: disk drive
>SAME: OS Win7 64bit
>SAME: Graphic card
>
>Will I need to do a fresh install and have to reinstall all my
>applications or could just do a repair and maybe re-activate ?

The pundits will tell you not to do it but I have, more than once.
With Win 7 it works like a dream, as soon as it boots to the desktop
it goes on line and gets the drivers that aren't in the install
package, it rebooted once. I think there was one of mine that it
couldn't find, for something trivial that I already had the driver
for. I don't remember reactivating but was using the RC at the time.
From: Bob F on
Minh Tran-Le wrote:
> Just trying to figure out if it is possible to change:
> OLD: P5E3-Deluxe with Intel Q6600
> NEW: P7H57 with Intel I7
>
> SAME: disk drive
> SAME: OS Win7 64bit
> SAME: Graphic card
>
> Will I need to do a fresh install and have to reinstall all my
> applications or could just do a repair and maybe re-activate ?

What I usually do is remove all the drivers using the hardware manager. Then
power it down, swap motherboards, and boot it up. Windows will detect the
missing drivers, and re-install them with the needed new ones.

From: shaw news on
and that is better way if you still have the motherboard bootable.
as one does not get into performance penalty nor having to deal with
removing hidden devices

I have swapped mainboard on XP pro once w/o starting from scratch but it did
take some work although less than a total clean install

However if your system has been in used for quite a while was getting
sluggish or there memory addition. one may as well take this opportunity to
do a clean install

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per shaw news:
>one may as well take this opportunity to
>do a clean install

And, while at it, partition the drive into C: (system) and D:
(data), make and image of C:, and start saving stuff only to D:

That way, if/when things go South again, you can restore the C:
partition from the image in less than an hour instead of spending
6+ hours rebuilding.
--
PeteCresswell