From: John Smith on
I'd like to run an alternative to IE in my app and have downloaded the
Mozilla control (I'm testing it now). So far it's up to 82MB after an
hour and half (120 page requests). Seems to have memory leak issues.

http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm

Does an alternative exist for VB6?

Thank you
From: Mayayana on
I tried that control once, but not in a
recent version. Calling it a control was
somewhat misleading. It's really pretty
much a whole Firefox install. with an added
COM interface.

As for memory usage, there's been a lot
of complaint about that in regard to Firefox
generally. I don't know whether it's a problem
with all versions, but I've seen discussions
where people have complained about it eating
up as much memory as is available.

I don't think there's any other easy option for
VB. All browsers are either IE, Gecko, WebKit,
or Opera. It's too complex for someone to just
make a control from scratch.

From: Mike S on
On 6/21/2010 5:44 PM, John Smith wrote:
> I'd like to run an alternative to IE in my app and have downloaded the
> Mozilla control (I'm testing it now). So far it's up to 82MB after an
> hour and half (120 page requests). Seems to have memory leak issues.
> http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm
> Does an alternative exist for VB6?
> Thank you

I did comparison between the IE Webbrowser control and the Mozilla
control and found something interesting, although I don't know what
causes it

I made a simple program: 1 form, two command buttons, one Webbrowser
control and one Mozilla control, both webbrowsers used the same code:

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim n As Long
Form1.Caption = "MozillaBrowser"
' Form1.Caption = "IEBrowser"
With MozillaBrowser1
' With WebBrowser1
For n = 1 To 100
.Navigate "http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=test+" &
Format$(n, "0")
DoEvents
Do While .Busy Or .ReadyState <> READYSTATE_COMPLETE
DoEvents: Sleep 100: DoEvents
Loop
Sleep 5000 'so google doesn't block an automated search query
Next
End With
End Sub

I watched memory use using the Windows Task Manager

Test 1:
run program, note initial memory use: Mozilla Browser
start 12,964
finish 44,264
total 31,300
End program. The program used increasingly more memory as more pages
were loaded.

Test 2:
run program, note initial memory use: IE Browser
start 12,968
finish 29,656
total 16,688
Note: Once the program hit 30 MB it just kind of hovered around that
number, anywhere between 29 and 30 MB, for all subsequent pages loaded.

I'm not aware of any memory settings I could have made to explain this,
so maybe there is a memory leak.

Mike

From: Schmidt on

"John Smith" <spam(a)not-a-real-domain-name.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'd like to run an alternative to IE in my app and have downloaded the
> Mozilla control (I'm testing it now). So far it's up to 82MB after an
> hour and half (120 page requests). Seems to have memory leak issues.
>
> http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm
>
> Does an alternative exist for VB6?

I've written a small Binding-Class which (in the same
way as the control above) is using the MS-HTML-
Interfaces - but bound in this case is a pretty
actual (regarding the version) XulRunner-environment.

Please do your own tests, if this newer Mozilla-
Binaries do work better with regards to Mem-
Usage (and caching, which always was a bit more
generous than that in IE) ... about a leak I'd only talk,
when the increasing mem-usage does *not* stop
at some *barrier* of maybe 300MB or so.

www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/MozillaRegfree.zip

A smaller and lightweight alternative is the Dll
(or the Control) at terrainformatica.com - no
"full-blown-browser" - but for many purposes
more than sufficient.

Olaf

From: John Smith on
Schmidt wrote:
> "John Smith" <spam(a)not-a-real-domain-name.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> I'd like to run an alternative to IE in my app and have downloaded the
>> Mozilla control (I'm testing it now). So far it's up to 82MB after an
>> hour and half (120 page requests). Seems to have memory leak issues.
>>
>> http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm
>>
>> Does an alternative exist for VB6?
>
> I've written a small Binding-Class which (in the same
> way as the control above) is using the MS-HTML-
> Interfaces - but bound in this case is a pretty
> actual (regarding the version) XulRunner-environment.
>
> Please do your own tests, if this newer Mozilla-
> Binaries do work better with regards to Mem-
> Usage (and caching, which always was a bit more
> generous than that in IE) ... about a leak I'd only talk,
> when the increasing mem-usage does *not* stop
> at some *barrier* of maybe 300MB or so.
>
> www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/MozillaRegfree.zip
>
> A smaller and lightweight alternative is the Dll
> (or the Control) at terrainformatica.com - no
> "full-blown-browser" - but for many purposes
> more than sufficient.
>
> Olaf

Wow, this is great.. thank you very much. I ran a test for a few hours,
1 page request every 15 seconds. After about 1000 or so page requests it
never went over 80MB.

Do you know if it's possible to raise drag events? I'm dragging text
from the control to a button above it.

Thank you