From: cczona on
Okay, I must just be too sleep-deprived to see it. Why is Hash.each
(and the other enumerables) returning nothing but nils when clearly
the hash is being populated?

$foo={'a' => '1', 'b'=> '2'}

puts $foo.length
puts $foo.nil?
puts $foo.keys
puts $foo.values
puts "\n\n"

$foo.each do |k, v|
print $k, " and ", $v, "\n\n" # returns 'nil and nil'
end

Thank you.
From: Rick DeNatale on
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM, cczona <cczona(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I must just be too sleep-deprived to see it.  Why  is Hash.each
> (and the other enumerables) returning nothing but nils when clearly
> the hash is being populated?
>
> $foo={'a' => '1', 'b'=> '2'}
>
> puts $foo.length
> puts $foo.nil?
> puts $foo.keys
> puts $foo.values
> puts "\n\n"
>
> $foo.each do |k, v|
>  print $k, " and ", $v, "\n\n" # returns 'nil and nil'
> end
>
> Thank you.

$k and $v are global variables, k and v are locals

I rarely use global variables (other than system globals). I'd
rewrite the above code as

foo={'a' => '1', 'b'=> '2'}

puts foo.length
puts foo.nil?