From: Tom Shelton on
On 2009-10-26, G�ran Andersson <guffa(a)guffa.com> wrote:
> Scott M. wrote:
>> "Mr. Arnold" <Arnold(a)Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> It's get/set in VB as opposed to let/set in C#.
>>
>> C# uses get/set.
>>
>> -Scottt
>>

> Besides, Let and Set is the same thing. VB6 uses Get and Let, but VB.NET
> uses Get and Set.

VB6 uses GET/LET/SET

--
Tom Shelton
From: Roshawn on
Andrius B. wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I used Hashtable to store data loaded from Access (the db can contain from
> 1000 till 100000 records), and that worked very well, because of fast data
> retrieving from Hashtable using key.
> The main problem with Hashtable is sorting. I have to convert all the
> Hashtable to array list or smth, sort it with the help of ICompairer
> interface, and then converting back to hashtable. That takes much time.
> Now I am trying to modify the app code and started to use Datatable objects
> instead of Hashtable. Datatable has a much faster sorting mechanism, and
> that is very important for me, because I have to display the items from the
> db in Listview - not all of them, just some (up to 50), but the items must
> be ordered by certain key, t.i. the user should have possibility ti order
> the items in the way he wishes. That's why fast sorting is neccessary.
> ListView is in Virtual mode.
> But on the other hand, datatable is not the one I am looking for. The item
> retrieving from datatable (using datatable.rows.find (by key) is much slower
> than getting items from hashtable. When for sorting and displaying, it is
> not very bad, because, as I have said, I need at a moment dislpay only up to
> 50 items in Listview. But also my program has to make some calculations and
> analysis with the data, so when it tries to retrieve data from datatable,
> the speed of analyse decreases very markebly, in compairing to hashtable.
>
> So, what could I do, if want to have fast sorting and also fast data
> retrieving in my app? Storing the data both in datatable and in hashtable
> could be a solution, but it consumes to much memory. Is there a class or
> smth, that could provide this? Or should I try to write my own class
> implementing many interfaces (for sorting etc.)?
> I use VB.Net 2005.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Why not try a SortedList or a SortedDictionary? Just a thought!
From: Andrius B. on
By the way, I thing the binary search using IComparer interface (witch is
using for sorting such objects as Arraylist) is not the fastest one. Is
there
smth better? I mean, some kind of faster algorithm for sorting custom data
types?

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2009-10-27, Andrius B. <andriusbl(a)mail.lt> wrote:
> By the way, I thing the binary search using IComparer interface (witch is
> using for sorting such objects as Arraylist) is not the fastest one. Is
> there
> smth better? I mean, some kind of faster algorithm for sorting custom data
> types?

The standard sort methods do not use Binary search - they use QuickSort.
--
Tom Shelton
From: Göran Andersson on
Andrius B. wrote:
> By the way, I thing the binary search using IComparer interface (witch is
> using for sorting such objects as Arraylist) is not the fastest one. Is
> there
> smth better? I mean, some kind of faster algorithm for sorting custom data
> types?

The BinarySearch method is used for locating an item in an already
sorted collection, and it's very fast. For a collection containing a
million items you don't need more than 20 comparisons to find an item.

You might get slightly better performance using a Dictionary, but that
depends on how efficient the implementation of the hashing and
comparison algorithms are.

--
G�ran Andersson
_____