From: Glen on
The 100% fix is easy. I had the same problem plaguing me for months. Addins were the problem. The main culprits for me were "iTunes Outlook Addin" and "Exchange Extensions property pages," neither of which I have any use for. After following the instructions at http://forums.techarena.in/windows-software/1193896.htm you will need to end the OUTLOOK.exe process from your Task Manager or just reboot. Now everything works great!

Rich Shelley wrote:

Have to reboot computer in order to send/receive email
18-Mar-09

This doesn't solve the problem 100%, but i think i figured out a way to avoid the reboot. Close outlook, CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to Task Manager, you may find Outlook.exe still running under the Process tab, End the process, restart outlook. Then click send/receive.

On Monday, January 19, 2009 8:38 PM
dimperi wrote:

Have to reboot computer in order to send/receive email
I have to reboot my computer every time I want to send and receive email.
Works fine after reboot, but after a few minutes does not work anymore. Any
suggestions?

On Monday, January 19, 2009 9:25 PM
mar wrote:

RE: Have to reboot computer in order to send/receive email
See my post tited: "non-commercial use" in title bar. I am having the same
issues. Do you see the above phrase on your title bar? It may have to do with
a problem with activation and on multiple computers.

Mark

"dimperio" wrote:

On Monday, January 19, 2009 9:38 PM
Pat Willener wrote:

What version of Outlook?What account type?
What version of Outlook?
What account type?
What does "does not work" mean - do you get any error message(s)?
Anything else you want to share with us that we cannot see from here?

dimperio wrote:

On Monday, January 19, 2009 10:02 PM
dimperi wrote:

outlook 2003. Personal email account. No error messages.
outlook 2003. Personal email account. No error messages. Just does not
send or receive any emails. Again - works normally after reboot.

"Pat Willener" wrote:

On Monday, January 19, 2009 10:03 PM
dimperi wrote:

I do not have that phrase on my title bar.
I do not have that phrase on my title bar. Again - it works just fine after
computer reboot

"mark" wrote:

On Monday, January 19, 2009 10:57 PM
Pat Willener wrote:

When you close Outlook, does it close completely (check with Task Manager)?
When you close Outlook, does it close completely (check with Task Manager)?

Do you have any anti-virus software integrated into Outlook? If so, do
you get the same problem if you start Outlook in Safe Mode (Start -> Run
-> outlook /safe)?

P.S. Account type is POP/SMTP, IMAP, or Exchange Server.

dimperio wrote:

On Monday, January 19, 2009 11:08 PM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

what addins do you have installed? what virus scanner?
what addins do you have installed? what virus scanner?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request(a)lists.outlooktips.net

EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST(a)PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"dimperio" <dimperio(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:55 PM
dimperi wrote:

POP/SMTP accountHow do I open in safe mode?
POP/SMTP account
How do I open in safe mode? I followed the prompts you gave - does not open
I disabled any antivirus software - still does not send and receive - only
after restarting computer and then only for a few minutes

"Pat Willener" wrote:

On Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:48 PM
Alvar wrote:

RE: Have to reboot computer in order to send/receive email
On 1/20/2009 8:27 PM PST 1/20/2009 8:27 PM PST ruch33 wrote:

Hi! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I am using Outlook 2003 and my computer is running Vista.

I am having problems receiving mail via Outlook. It is connected to a pop
account and it worked fine then last night it stopped receiving mail. I
can still send email.
And my email is still going to the server, because I can read it if I connect
to webmail - as well as on my iphone- it just doesn't download to my
Outlook. Other weird things:

1) Now when I press send/receive the button flashes
orange (it is activated), but then nothing pops up, although mail in the
outbox will go.

2) I tested the Outlook settings again, and the test worked fine, including
connecting to the incoming mail server. However, I never receive the test
messages in my Outlook inbox, although they are visible in my webmail inbox.

3) I wanted to make sure that the send/receive groups settings were set to
check often for mail, but if I go into send/receive options and try to click
on "define send/receive groups", it highlights orange (ie it is activated),
but nothing will pop up - I can't get into those settings.

I've read through all the other posts I can find, and tried various things,
such as:
-checking all of the incoming/outgoing settings
-creating a new profile
-turning off the virus checker for email
I have AVG Free virus scanner software on my computer, and I
turned the email scanner part off. No luck.

No luck! any suggestions????

thank you so much for any help you can provide!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Tonight I wrote:

I have the exact same problem as described by ruch33.

I use Windows XP professional SP3 and Office 2003 SP3.

I have gone as far as reinstalling Windows and Office. I have tried on
somebody else???s computer. I have spent long hours on the phone with the ISP
help desk.

I can send mails, I can see my incoming mail at the ISP site, but Outlook
continues to go through all the motions when I press the Send/Receive button
but no mail is downloaded.

This is most frustrating. I have spent the best part of last week
troubleshooting this problem. This is most frustrating.

I need all the help I can get and will be very, very thankful for any useful
suggestions.

Al

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

These problems look very similar to yours. And they also tend to indicate a
recently introduced bug.
I feel that Microsoft should look into this bad issue.

"dimperio" wrote:

On Friday, January 23, 2009 10:21 AM
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:

Re: Have to reboot computer in order to send/receive email
How many times do you intend to post the same thing?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

On Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:20 AM
tomber wrote:

Re: Have to reboot computer in order to send/receive email
On Jan 19, 8:38=A0pm, dimperio <dimpe...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
=A0
=A0Any

I have the same problemon my desktop.
Vista, Outlook 2003. McAfee virus protection (turned off for email.)
After reboot it receives and sends. However any subsequent clicking on
send/receive is ineffective. (nothing happens)
I rebooted, reinstalled office, repaired, all to no avail.
Removed (pop) emails, reinstalled them. no change .
Any further suggestion? (my laptop with identical vista and outlook
works fine...)

On Sunday, February 01, 2009 2:30 PM
SBMul wrote:

You have my complete sympathy - I have had this problem consistently since I
You have my complete sympathy - I have had this problem consistently since I
installed Outlook 2007 on a new pc with Vista 6 months ago. I have not
received any useful information from anyone and have continued to reboot as
often as necessary to send and receive e-mail. Given that I never had the
problem with Outlook 2007 and XP, I am assuming that Vista is the culprit,
but no one, including Microsoft, can confirm or deny. BTW - I don't have the
problem when I am using Windows Live Mail. Good luck.
--
Sandra

"tomber" wrote:

On Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:38 PM
Rich Shelley wrote:

Have to reboot computer in order to send/receive email
I don't think VISTA is the culprit. I have XP and Outlook 2003 and have had the same problem for several months now. I am usually capable of troubleshooting pc issues, but this one has me stumped.

I have several email accounts setup in outlook 2003, including one http account (hotmail), and several pop accounts. The http account will continue to receive email, but the pop requires the reboot.

On Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:48 PM
Rich Shelley wrote:

Have to reboot computer in order to send/receive email
This doesn't solve the problem 100%, but i think i figured out a way to avoid the reboot. Close outlook, CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to Task Manager, you may find Outlook.exe still running under the Process tab, End the process, restart outlook. Then click send/receive.

Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .NET Tips and Tricks # 9
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/0ca0e1a2-45e0-4f2c-a148-4a69bf0dfda7/dr-dotnetskys-cool-net.aspx
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Outlook 2007 SP2 should close - it forces programs (like iTunes) closed.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?