From: Jarrno on
hello everybody!
just to let you know i joined this group !
i just posted a comment just like this but i cant see it on the
comment page..
so. which is better linux or vista?
and is vista suitable for making music?

Thank you!
From: ray on
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 03:03:07 -0800, Jarrno wrote:

> hello everybody!
> just to let you know i joined this group ! i just posted a comment just
> like this but i cant see it on the comment page..
> so. which is better linux or vista?

Neither is 'better' - they are different. Which is better, a Ford or a
Toyota? (look at the recent safety recalls before you answer)

From: Aragorn on
On Sunday 29 November 2009 16:44 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
identifying as ray wrote...

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 03:03:07 -0800, Jarrno wrote:

Probably via Google Groups, which might be why I didn't see his original
post. ;-)

>> hello everybody!
>> just to let you know i joined this group ! i just posted a comment
>> just like this but i cant see it on the comment page..
>> so. which is better linux or vista?

Since Vista is a version of MICROS~1 Wintendo and MICROS~1 Wintendo is
the worst possible operating system on the planet (and most likely in
the entire universe), just about everything else is better.

And that said, GNU/Linux is a fully-fledged UNIX-style platform that
runs on just about every modern processor architecture, from embedded
devices up to mainframes and supercomputers. Do you *really* believe
that the two of them are even remotely comparable?

(Wintendo supercomputers are called botnets, by the way...)

> Neither is 'better' - they are different.

Of course one is better than the other. One is a state of the art
computer operating system designed to Just Work (TM), the other is a
binary blob of beta-grade code that you don't even get to own, based
upon an archaic design from the days when microcomputers didn't have
hard disks or network adapters and were solely used by a single
operator, an bloated to such an extent that you basically need hardware
that would still constitute a decent minicomputer or a small mainframe
only one decade ago, just to give you lots of eyecandy with nothing
underneath and the performance of an archaic microcomputer that didn't
have hard disks or network adapters and was solely used... and so on.

> Which is better, a Ford or a Toyota? (look at the recent safety
> recalls before you answer)

Neither Ford nor Toyota, nor just about any other brand of cars is still
a real Ford or a real Toyota, or any of those other brands. An Aston
Martin is a high-end, hand-built and completely tailor-made British
sports car - you can even decide what color must be used for the
stitching on the seats - but some of the components do come from Ford -
as Ford still owns a large part of the company - and its satellite
navigation module comes from Volvo, and its sound system from Bang &
Olufsen, which itself is made up of noblified Philips technology. The
headlights are probably from Lucas or Hella and the tires are from
Pirelli.

And that's Aston Martin. It's far worse with commodity vehicles. ;-)

(I worked at General Motors in the mid 1980s, and I know what we put in
those cars, and which of those parts were used in other brands of cars
that weren't even GM affiliates - e.g. Renault, Jaguar, et al.)

>> and is vista suitable for making music?

Yes, and specifically so for reproductions of Nick Lowe's "I Love The
Sound Of Breaking Glass". <grin>

All cynicism aside, if music is your thing and you are a professional,
then you must either go with one of the traditional UNIX'es, which
typically come with their own proprietary hardware - most notably SGI
MIPS- or Itanium-based machines with IRIX - or GNU/Linux with any of
the distributions geared specifically to that end, or an Apple with
OS-X and ProTools.

The only kind of music productions that MICROS~1 is actually being used
for is the "do it yourself" techno/clubbing circuit where people throw
some samples together from other artists' work, put a droning sequencer
beat underneath it and then act like they're superstars, with gobs of
brainless idiots high on XTC, speed or whatever laying at their feet as
if they're deities.

(Sorry, but I'm a musician myself and I've seen way too many great music
recordings having been raped like that by those "fast money" subculture
figures who aim at scoring high at the clubs (and even more at the
bank) with these kinds of abominations.)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: ray on
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 05:04:06 +0100, Aragorn wrote:

> On Sunday 29 November 2009 16:44 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
> identifying as ray wrote...
>
>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 03:03:07 -0800, Jarrno wrote:
>
> Probably via Google Groups, which might be why I didn't see his original
> post. ;-)
>
>>> hello everybody!
>>> just to let you know i joined this group ! i just posted a comment
>>> just like this but i cant see it on the comment page.. so. which is
>>> better linux or vista?
>
> Since Vista is a version of MICROS~1 Wintendo and MICROS~1 Wintendo is
> the worst possible operating system on the planet (and most likely in
> the entire universe), just about everything else is better.
>
> And that said, GNU/Linux is a fully-fledged UNIX-style platform that
> runs on just about every modern processor architecture, from embedded
> devices up to mainframes and supercomputers. Do you *really* believe
> that the two of them are even remotely comparable?
>
> (Wintendo supercomputers are called botnets, by the way...)
>
>> Neither is 'better' - they are different.
>
> Of course one is better than the other. One is a state of the art
> computer operating system designed to Just Work (TM), the other is a
> binary blob of beta-grade code that you don't even get to own, based
> upon an archaic design from the days when microcomputers didn't have
> hard disks or network adapters and were solely used by a single
> operator, an bloated to such an extent that you basically need hardware
> that would still constitute a decent minicomputer or a small mainframe
> only one decade ago, just to give you lots of eyecandy with nothing
> underneath and the performance of an archaic microcomputer that didn't
> have hard disks or network adapters and was solely used... and so on.

That does not necessarily make it 'better'. 'Better' for what? Certainly
not for running proprietary MS programs for which there is no other
equivalent - I can indeed name a few.

From: Dan C on
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 04:14:46 +0000, ray wrote:

<snip>

Hey!

Ever heard of "trimming your posts"?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.