From: Eugene on
Hi all
I am running Fedora 11 on my laptop (IBM T60) that has a 60 G hard
drive. A 320G hard drive was ordered and is to be replace the old one.
I would do dual boot. One goes Fedora 11 and the other goes windows XP
or 7. How can I clone the entire system on the old hard drive (i.e.
Fedora 11 with many software installed) and put it on the new drive?
Thanks.
From: Robert Heller on
At Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:23:13 -0800 (PST) Eugene <yjyincj(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
> I am running Fedora 11 on my laptop (IBM T60) that has a 60 G hard
> drive. A 320G hard drive was ordered and is to be replace the old one.
> I would do dual boot. One goes Fedora 11 and the other goes windows XP
> or 7. How can I clone the entire system on the old hard drive (i.e.
> Fedora 11 with many software installed) and put it on the new drive?
> Thanks.

Get an external enclosure (unless the T60 can handle having both drives
installed at the same time) and then read:

http://www.deepsoft.com/2009/01/how-to-transfer-a-linux-system-from-one-disk-to-another/

You may need a boot/rescue disk to get the boot loader set up properly.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller(a)deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:23:13 -0800, Eugene wrote:

> Hi all
> I am running Fedora 11 on my laptop (IBM T60) that has a 60 G hard
> drive. A 320G hard drive was ordered and is to be replace the old one. I
> would do dual boot. One goes Fedora 11 and the other goes windows XP or
> 7. How can I clone the entire system on the old hard drive (i.e. Fedora
> 11 with many software installed) and put it on the new drive? Thanks.

There is no reason to clone the drive, a fresh install takes 20 minutes,
cloning using dd will take much longer. You should just rsync your home
directory to another machine before you pull the old drive and then rsync
it back after you've installed the new drive. If you have any non-fedora
software on the system you should rsync that to another machine also.
Anything that's part of the Fedora or Fusion repositories should just be
reinstalled. BTW I would install F12 instead of F11, it seems to be a
better release then F11. Evolution was completely fucked on F11, it seems
a little better on F12 although it's still broken (the last good version
was on F9). KVM is much improved on F12, Windows VM performance sucked on
KVM on F11, on F12 the performance is as good as VMware (Linux VM
performance on F11 was excellent already, on F12 the big improvement is
page sharing if you run multiple VMs).

For XP you are on your own. If you have a recovery or XP install DVD then
you can do a fresh install of that, however it will take much longer then
the Fedora install. Doing a disk clone would require that you mount both
drives in a desktop machine (the laptop only has one disk controller).
You will need adapters to mount the drives in a desktop machine. Assuming
that you've done that you can just use dd to copy the partitions, it will
work for XP as well as Linux. Personally I wouldn't bother with a native
XP installation, it's a waste of space. I use an XP VM. If you don't have
hardware support for virtualization you can't use KVM. VMware Server will
run a old CPUs that lack VM support and they have a really nice program
that you can run on your native XP install and it will create a VMware
VM. Unfortunately VMware Server isn't supported on any kernel beyond
2.6.27 which is Fedora 9. There are patches for 2.6.30 which is used in
F11 but I'm not sure how well they work, there aren't any patches for
2.6.31.
From: André Gillibert on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:23:13 -0800, Eugene wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> > I am running Fedora 11 on my laptop (IBM T60) that has a 60 G hard
> > drive. A 320G hard drive was ordered and is to be replace the old one. I
> > would do dual boot. One goes Fedora 11 and the other goes windows XP or
> > 7. How can I clone the entire system on the old hard drive (i.e. Fedora
> > 11 with many software installed) and put it on the new drive? Thanks.
>
> There is no reason to clone the drive, a fresh install takes 20 minutes,
> cloning using dd will take much longer.
And then, 20 hours to reconfigure everything, and copy personal files.
dd clones everything, and, is actually very fast on modern disks. If contents of free disk space don't matter, one may use partclone.
Or, simply mkfs a new partition and use cp or star -dump -copy (this program rocks) to copy files to the new partition.
Nice thing: It'll actually "defragment" the system, which may dramatically improve performances of an old ext3 partition.

--
André Gillibert
From: ray on
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:23:13 -0800, Eugene wrote:

> Hi all
> I am running Fedora 11 on my laptop (IBM T60) that has a 60 G hard
> drive. A 320G hard drive was ordered and is to be replace the old one. I
> would do dual boot. One goes Fedora 11 and the other goes windows XP or
> 7. How can I clone the entire system on the old hard drive (i.e. Fedora
> 11 with many software installed) and put it on the new drive? Thanks.

I think many clone tools require the new disk to be the same size. At any
rate, when I upgraded the hard drive in my laptop, I simply used
partimage to back up images of all the interesting partitions to an
external drive (also works over the network), replaced the drive,
restored to the new drive and then played games with gparted to recover
the rest of the space.