From: kronhead on
The Android Market place provides easy refunds on most, or all,
products for 24 hours. Wow! 24 whole hours to test something! But I
gather that's better than Apple's marketplace. And, I think, like
Apple's, Android's has free, limited-function versions of most
products. But limited can be VERY limited - Documents To Go's free
version only allows VIEWING Office docs, so you cannot test any
editting capabilities. But they offered it for $10 (instead of the
usual $30), with the 24 hour redund.

But you're right - just about EVERY Palm app had a full function,
limited time trial period, or a 30 day refund.

Dan

From: drruth2 on
On Jul 7, 3:16 am, "Harold Fuchs" <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> "drruth2" <dennis.r...(a)verizon.net> wrote in message

> <snip>
>
> >About 45 days ago (when Palm Pre came out on AT&T) I moved from Cento
> >to the Pre. (Previously I've used every Palm device from III onward
> >except for Treo).
>
> >The Classic app from MotionApps has worked very well.  Every Palm OS
> >app listed as Classic certified has performed as in the past.  I have
> >found a couple that while not Classic certified do in fact operate w/o
> >problems.  The sync is to my desktop via wifi, so nothing goes out the
> >the 'cloud'.
>
> Please, how much does Classic cost? The MotionApps web site doesn't give a
> price (or I need new spectacles).
>
> <snip>
>
> >Dennis
>
> --
> Harold Fuchs
> London, England

Harold,
Comes pre-loaded on the Pre Plus from AT&T. Works for several days
then informs that trial is about to expire (that was a surprise since
all the adverts seemed to sing the praises of being able to use your
old Palm OS apps, etc.) By that time I had proven that it worked and
I could continue my HandyShopper, Note Studio, etc., use pretty much
as I had before. I paid the $29.99 license fee. A software update
has since been issued at no charge.

To me, the license fee, while a surprise, enabled me to use the Palm
OS apps I have come to rely on. What I really, really, really miss is
an app that allows me to write on the screen vice sliding open the top
and using the keyboard. MobleWrite will work, but will periodically
crash the Pre, so I still looking.

Dennis
From: drruth2 on
On Jul 8, 6:31 pm, Mysterion <n...(a)dress.invalid> wrote:
> drruth2 wrote:
<snip>

> Dennis,
> how are you doing the sync to desktop?  Is this with the Palm desktop?  Is
> there any hope of alternative operating systems being able to sync with
> PalmOS sync software?

The sync is via WiFi using the network option. On my device Service
"MEdia Net Copy"; Connection "Virtual Modem"; rest of option are left
blank. MotionApps has a good step-by-step description. I followed
that. MAKE SURE you firewall is set to permit HotSync to communicate
via LAN (various FW will have that option state slightly
differently). From that point on all the conduits work as before.
You can install via the Install Tool as before. There is also the
option to plug in a USB cable. The Pre becomes a drive on the
computer. Again, MotionApps provides a description of an alternate
means of installing apps via the USB connection.

There are two other solutions for sync via the USB cable:
CompanionLink and Missing Sync for Palm Pre. They run about $30 or so
each. I have both. CompanionLink is primarily focused on calendar,
tasks, notes. Missing Sync is a little bit broader and has options to
sync music, photos, video. Both sync with the Pre WebOS apps vice the
PalmOS apps. If you do not enable a web-based calendar then there is
nothing for the Pre to sync to in the cloud. I'm sticking w/ using
the USB cable to transfer music, etc. to the Pre as if it were a flash
drive. Seems to work.

I haven't a need to perform sync with anything other than Win(XP), so
haven't had any need to do research into other OS.

If you go the route of MotionApps, read carefully their
recommendations on how to set up and then move apps and data from the
PC to the Pre. I didn't. Spent quite a bit of time removing apps one
at a time until I found the ones that cause the Pre to crash. When
MotionApps crashes, doesn't affect the WebOS, so recovery is as
straight forward as ending the Classic app session that carshed and
then restarting. Apps concurrently running under WebOS are not
affected.