From: mscotgrove on
On Apr 27, 2:23 pm, "Kremlar" <krem...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> the tapes might be bad.  Which brings me to server #2:
>
> SERVER #2
>
>  - Windows Server 2003 R2 32-Bit SP2
>
>  - Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 Rev 2213 with SP3 and a bunch of hotfixes
>
>  - Intel SE7320EP2 Motherboard
>
>  - Addonics AD2SA3GPX1 PCIe SATA Controller (Silicon Image Sil 3132)
>    (running latest non-RAID BIOS 7.7.02 & driver 1.0.22.0 dated 10/3/07)
>
>  - Quantum DLT-V4 SATA Internal Drive
>    (running latest firmware 10.0 & Symantec driver 5.1.37.0 dated 2/12/08 -
> same version but different date than Server #1 for some reason)
>
>  - Quantum DLTtape VS1 Tapes
>
>  - Quantum DLT VS160 Cleaning Cartridge
>
> Approximately 2 weeks ago we replaced an aging Sony AIT-2 Turbo tape drive
> on this server, and backups had been running fine.
>
> So, I decided to take these 2 possibly bad tapes and test them on this
> server.  Both tapes INVENTORIED fine, ran QUICK ERASES, and I was even able
> to run a small test backup without issue.  So, I figured the tapes must be
> fine.
>
> Back on Server #1, to be sure the controller card wasn't doing anything
> funny, I unplugged the drive from the controller and simply left it hooked
> to power.  Sure enough, inserting either one of those tapes on Server #1
> still produced the CLEAN light error.
>
> SO, I then replaced the brand new tape drive on Server #1 direct from
> Quantum with ANOTHER brand new drive I had.  Once I did that, all tapes seem
> to read fine (no CLEAN light).  I was able to INVENTORY and QUICK ERASE the
> previously suspected bad tapes.  I then ran a successful full backup on
> Friday night and Monday night - so I figure problem solved (fingers
> crossed)!  I must have gotten a bad replacement drive from Quantum.
>
> BUT although Server #2 had successfully run it's backup Friday night,
> Monday's backup failed.  Checking the log it was the exact same error:
>
> Error category    : Backup Media Errors
> Error             : e00084ec - A tape read/write error has occurred.  This
> is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the
> tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a
> different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cabFor
> additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34028
>
> Tried running an INVENTORY and QUICK ERASE on the tape from a remote
> location, both completed successfully, but I tried running the backup again
> and after a couple GB it again failed with the same error.  Came on-site and
> found the CLEAN light flashing on this drive as well!
>
> Replaced that tape with a brand new tape, and it is now in the middle of
> running a full backup.  It seems it will complete successfully, but won't
> know for sure for a couple hours.
>
> So what the heck is going on?  I don't even know what to think at this
> point.  Could "bad" tapes somehow corrupt the heads on a good drive and
> cause a drive failure?
>
> ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Bad tapes can lose their coatings and hence clog up the heads.

With your setup, are the tapes streaming, or shoe shining? Shoe
shining can be caused by the data input being to slow, or because it
is doing many retries.

It does sound as if you have a bad batch of tapes. What make are
they? Are they new, or refurbished?

Michael
From: Kremlar on
Thanks for the reply.

It seems they do a bit of shoe-shining, but not too bad. I get between
600-700MB/s average, which seems about right compared to other SATA DLT-V4s
I have out in the field.

The tapes are Quantum DLTtape VS1 tapes (which Quantum says is the right
tape to use with their drives), everything is brand new.