Prev: Troll
Next: Dial-up problem
From: Peter Jason on
Why?

Please help, P

From: Jeff Strickland on

"Peter Jason" <pj(a)jostle.com> wrote in message
> Why?

It's running.

From: Paul on
Peter Jason wrote:
> Why?
>
> Please help, P

It does that on mine, but only when the screensaver is running. And
it doesn't stop immediately when I move the mouse and the screensaver
goes away. I expect it is a bug in the driver for the chipset and
storage interfaces. It has been present since the day I got my system.

About ten seconds after coming back from the screen saver, the light
goes out. And then blinks as it is supposed to, whenever the IDE
drive is accessed. So mine is related to the ACPI state associated
with the running of the screensaver.

I don't think mine does that, when I'm running Linux. My chipset is
VIA and the Southbridge is VT8237S.

If you *never* see the LED flash at all, even once, the LED cable could
be connected to the wrong two pins. If someone has been playing around,
and moved cables on the PANEL header, I suppose something like that
could happen.

Paul

From: JD on
Peter Jason wrote:
> Why?
>
> Please help, P

Hi there

As Jeff and Paul say the drive may be in use if you built it yourself
connecting the power button to the IO panel you may have put the "PWR
Switch" wires in the wrong way round which will cause the light to come
on when the drive is NOT in use and off when it is.

JD
From: Jeff Strickland on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> Peter Jason wrote:
>> Why?
>>
>> Please help, P
>
> Hi there
>
> As Jeff and Paul say the drive may be in use if you built it yourself
> connecting the power button to the IO panel you may have put the "PWR
> Switch" wires in the wrong way round which will cause the light to come on
> when the drive is NOT in use and off when it is.
>
> JD

While is certainly possible that the lights are switched, if it wasw true
that they were switched, then the Power light should be blinking to indicate
that the HDD is being read.

The HDD light is supposed to blink on a random schedule as data is being
read, if the light is on continuously then something is making a call to the
HDD causing it to read data all of the time. If the HDD lighth is on steady
and the Power light is blinking, then my money is on the connectors being
switched.

If the connectors are switched and the machine is Home Built, maybe one
should give consideration to not building any more computers.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Troll
Next: Dial-up problem