From: dark54555 on
This all started when I noticed I was short a few windows updates on XP SP2.
I decided I should run WU manually, and ran into a roadblock. It tries to
install Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool, which fails every time.

OK, simple enough. I went on the here and tried all the fixes: manually
reinstalling WGA, running the tool the MS guy recommends, nothing works. My
office's IT guy happened to be in, so I asked him. He says just download SP3
standalone, should be a workaround.

Downloaded, tried to install. "You do not have permission to update Windows
XP. Please contact your system administrator." ...What? I'm on an account in
the administrators group for my system. I log off and into my computer's
Admin account.

administrator."

At this point, I'm stumped, IT guy is confused. Googled around, got a
series of DLLs to re-initialize. They are:
REGSVR32 wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 atl.dll
REGSVR32 wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 wups.dll
Regsvr32 msxml3.dll
Regsvr32 msxml2.dll
Regsvr32 msxml.dll

wuaueng.dll fails on a 0x80070514. As far as I can tell, there is nothing
anywhere about that dll and that error code.

System restore gives a permission error.

I have checked , User Rights Assignment -> Take ownership of files or other
objects and my Administrators group is a member. I've also tried adding the
local Administrator account and my user account on the domain to the list,
both of which had no effect on the problem. We have a small office, and our
IT guy tells me he hasn't put any such restrictions in effect on any of the
office computers.

I would generally prefer not to use my holiday weekend to re-install Windows
XP. I'm hoping someone has some idea of what the problem is.
From: Kelly on
Hi,

Have you tried these suggestions?:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888791
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328817

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

SupportSpace
www.supportspace.com/pages?aiu=kellyskorner

From: dark54555 on
On the user rights required suggestion:

I pulled the install log for KB892130. Sample from one of the installs:

0.031: 2008/06/30 16:22:37.953 (local)
0.031:
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\a49d784415582d2f98c84ceb0a75d898\update\update.exe (version 6.3.3.0)
0.031: DoInstallation: GetProcAddress(InitializeCustomizationDLL) Returned:
0x7f
0.031: Failed To Enable SE_SHUTDOWN_PRIVILEGE
0.031: Failed To Enable SE_SECURITY_PRIVILEGE
0.031: Setup encountered an error: You do not have permission to update
Windows XP.
0.031: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf004

I checked my security policies. Shutdown allows Administrators, Users,
Power Users, Backup Operators. Security has a different icon. The list is
grayed out, as are the buttons, listing only DOMAIN\Exchange Servers (we had
an exchange server, it has been inactive since February because of some
proeblems). There's also a message on the box:
This setting is not compatible wiht computers running Windows 2000 Service
Pack 1 or earlier. Apply Group Policy objects containing this setting only
to computers running a later version of the operating system.

My system is XP SP2, the server which has the domain is Server 2003.

Any ideas?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

Is Automatic Updates enabled?

Are you logged on as Administrator?

(if any)?

By any chance did you recently do a Repair Install or clean install of
WinXP?

Look in Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates is checked) and tell us
the name of the last five (5) security updates [e.g., Security Update for
Windows XP (KB999999)], when they were installed, and how they were
installed (e.g., Windows Update; Automatic Updates; WSUS)?

If it truly is a Permissions problem, see if anything in
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-the-registry-and-the-file-permissions-in-windows-xp/
and/or
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/b9e9576732c1658f
helps at all.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

From: dark54555 on
Is Automatic Updates enabled? - Yes
Are you logged on as Administrator? - Yes
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)? - Symantec AntiVirus 10.0.1.1000; None currently (AdAware was uninstalled; Spybot was uninstalled); None

By any chance did you recently do a Repair Install or clean install of
> WinXP? - No, this clean install is months old, no previous problems.

> Look in Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates is checked) and tell us
> the name of the last five (5) security updates [e.g., Security Update for
> Windows XP (KB999999)], when they were installed, and how they were
> installed (e.g., Windows Update; Automatic Updates; WSUS)?
KB951376-v2, 6/20/08, Automatic
KB950762, 6/11/08, Automatic
KB951698, 6/11/08, Automatic
KB950760, 6/11/08, Automatic
KB951376, 6/11/08, Automatic

Will check those links.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > Pack 1 or earlier. Apply Group Policy objects containing this setting
> > only
> > to computers running a later version of the operating system.
> >
> > My system is XP SP2, the server which has the domain is Server 2003.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > "Kelly" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Have you tried these suggestions?:
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888791
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328817
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> All the Best,
> >> Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)
> >>
> >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
> >>
> >> SupportSpace
> >> www.supportspace.com/pages?aiu=kellyskorner
> >>
> >> "dark54555" <dark54555(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Pages: 1 2
Prev: log_fs.log ??
Next: Tray icons gone... SP3?