From: Jim on
After updating my Excel spreadsheet I opened Outlook Express and read my
email. When I finished, I discovered that I could not close the email window
nor could I open any window - everything dead except the mouse pointed!!!

Rebooted and everything works.

Suggestions please.

From: Richard in AZ on

"Jim" <jrwolfe(a)comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23Pz4LGz5KHA.3292(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> After updating my Excel spreadsheet I opened Outlook Express and read my email. When I finished, I
> discovered that I could not close the email window nor could I open any window - everything dead
> except the mouse pointed!!!
>
> Rebooted and everything works.
>
> Suggestions please.

On occasions a program locks and refuses to respond.
Yes, 99% of the time a reboot resets and the system works.
With out a lot more details no one can explain this to you.
When a window refuses to close try the following in place of a reboot.
*Hold the Alt key down and press the F4 key or
*Right-mouse click in the task bar and choose "task manager" and then close the
non-responding program.
If it occurs a lot, then you need to take corrective action. Until then, live with it.

From: Jim on
Thank you for your suggestion - will try it next time.