From: ChelseaS on
Hello! Here's what I'm trying to do, I'm not sure if an Unmatched Data Query
is the best answer or that this can even be done in Access.
I have one table that users request changes to a billing code (The billing
code table has about 20 columns). Our team updates the system (an internal
program, not Access) based off of the request. I have another table that I
imported from a reporting program that shows the change that actually occured
in our system.

I want to compare the two tables to ensure that there wasn't a typo or
missed field when we entered the information into our system.

I believe the unmatched data query only shows me the records that have
unmatched data. I need to know what the exact field is that has an error in
it.

Is this possible? I hope I made sense!
Thankyou!
From: Jeff Boyce on
Chelsea

One approach to this might be to create a query, add both tables, join them
as appropriate (?via primary key fields?), then use something like the
following for EACH field (untested):

Expression1: IIF([table1field1] <> [table2field1],"CHECK THIS ONE","")

.... and repeat for all fields compared.

Add in the primary key field from one of the tables, and you'll get a
listing of all the records, their IDs and any discrepancies will pop out.

If you want to see ONLY the discrepancies, then underneath each of these new
expression fields in your query, use the Selection Criterion to show:

<>""

That way, ONLY the discrepancies will show.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP