From: Jason on
Hello,

I have a table in an Access database that I want to create an SQL
Query for. Here
is the table structure:

Location Number
Area1 2
Area1 3
Area1 5
Area2 4
Area2 2
Area3 1

I would like to create an update SQL statement so that it adds up the
total of numbers for a particular location and puts that in the row.
For example, for Area 1 the number would be 2 + 3 + 5, which equals
10. Here's the final result I would like:

Location Number
Area1 10
Area1 10
Area1 10
Area2 6
Area2 6
Area3 1

Does anyone have an SQL update query that would do this?

Thanks
Jason
From: XPS350 on
On 6 mei, 08:44, Jason <jason.wu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a table in an Access database that I want to create an SQL
> Query for.  Here
> is the table structure:
>
> Location        Number
> Area1   2
> Area1   3
> Area1   5
> Area2   4
> Area2   2
> Area3   1
>
> I would like to create an update SQL statement so that it adds up the
> total of numbers for a particular location and puts that in the row.
> For example, for Area 1 the number would be 2 + 3 + 5, which equals
> 10.  Here's the final result I would like:
>
> Location        Number
> Area1   10
> Area1   10
> Area1   10
> Area2   6
> Area2   6
> Area3   1
>
> Does anyone have an SQL update query that would do this?
>
> Thanks
> Jason

That would like:
UPDATE YourTable SET [Number] = DSum("Number","YourTable","Location='"
& [Location] & "'");

Groeten,

Peter
http://access.xps350.com
From: Dorian on
By doing that you will end up with a table that is not normalized!
You should only calculate such totals when you need to display them such as
in a form or report.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".