From: John on
Problem: about two days ago, during boot up my pc started giving me
the error message "no 80 conductor cable installed" followed by "disk
boot failure insert system disk and press enter". I replaced the CMOS
battery because that seemed to me the most likely problem. However, no
luck, so I tried a number of things that I saw recommended - unplug all
the IDE cables and reseat them. I kept them in the same config as
before the problems started. When that didn't work, I tried connecting
using the old 40 pin IDE cable and then the 80 pin (UTMA?) cable to
channel 0 and 1. Next, I tested using a spare system disk I knew
worked and went through the same steps. During all of this, I did not
touch the SATA drive and its cable because that drive was recognized
each time during boot up. It was listed as being on Channel 3, IIRC.

For awhile I thought the problem was a dead hd (the original hd may be
dead; I've set it aside FWIW), but I had the same boot problems using a
system hd that I knew worked. I finally tried reinstalling WinXP Pro
but got the same error messages and had a different problem arise - the
pc would not shut off and restart when XP got to that point in the
reinstall process.

My pc: Biostar P4M80 mobo w/ P2.4 Ghz P4 cpu and 2Gb RAM
WD 40Gb HD (system/boot disk)
Seagate 500Gb SATA HD (data disk)
floppy
DVD
CD/R
I've had this set up trouble free for three or four years

So, any suggestions or comparable experience that resolved the problem?
And how does "no 80 conductor cable installed" lead to a "disk boot
failure" problem? I do remember one comment suggested changing a BIOS
setting related to hdd delay timing, but did not understand the
rationale.

Thanks,

John
From: Jan Alter on
"John" <my_name_is_my_own(a)swbell.invalid.net> wrote in message
> Problem: about two days ago, during boot up my pc started giving me
> the error message "no 80 conductor cable installed" followed by "disk
> boot failure insert system disk and press enter". I replaced the CMOS
> battery because that seemed to me the most likely problem. However, no
> luck, so I tried a number of things that I saw recommended - unplug all
> the IDE cables and reseat them. I kept them in the same config as
> before the problems started. When that didn't work, I tried connecting
> using the old 40 pin IDE cable and then the 80 pin (UTMA?) cable to
> channel 0 and 1. Next, I tested using a spare system disk I knew
> worked and went through the same steps. During all of this, I did not
> touch the SATA drive and its cable because that drive was recognized
> each time during boot up. It was listed as being on Channel 3, IIRC.
>
> For awhile I thought the problem was a dead hd (the original hd may be
> dead; I've set it aside FWIW), but I had the same boot problems using a
> system hd that I knew worked. I finally tried reinstalling WinXP Pro
> but got the same error messages and had a different problem arise - the
> pc would not shut off and restart when XP got to that point in the
> reinstall process.
>
> My pc: Biostar P4M80 mobo w/ P2.4 Ghz P4 cpu and 2Gb RAM
> WD 40Gb HD (system/boot disk)
> Seagate 500Gb SATA HD (data disk)
> floppy
> DVD
> CD/R
> I've had this set up trouble free for three or four years
>
> So, any suggestions or comparable experience that resolved the problem?
> And how does "no 80 conductor cable installed" lead to a "disk boot
> failure" problem? I do remember one comment suggested changing a BIOS
> setting related to hdd delay timing, but did not understand the
> rationale.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Detach the SATA drive and try connecting the IDE drive only to see if it's
recognized.
I've heard of conflicts between SATA and IDE drives before when it comes to
booting.
Use a different IDE 80 pin cable.
In the bios menu set it for default options

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net