From: dadiOH on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Why do I keep getting adverts in my mailbox every week for stores &
> businesses I've never heard of, that are hundreds of miles away from
> my home and that I wouldn't patronize anyway?

You're missing his point...

1. He gets an email from a known source

2. He then gets SPAM with the *same subject* as the first - the one from the
known source.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: dadiOH on
HeyBub wrote:
> I get an email. Almost instantly another email "arrives" with the same
> subject but containing the following text:
>
> --- begin quote
> Hello
>
> How are you doing recently?

<snip>

Is there a pattern vis a vis the first email and the second? For example,
the SPAM always follows legit mail from a specific person or IP...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: HeyBub on
Alex Clark wrote:
> HeyBub,
>
> Apparently everyone else replying to you is either too lazy to read
> your message, or simply doesn't understand what you're saying, so
> maybe I can offer a few pointers.
>
> Have you actually tried installing antivirus (MBAM, AVG) and running
> a full scan of your system? What email client are you using? If
> it's Outlook (not Express) have you tried checking to see what
> plugins you have loaded? It sounds as though it may be some kind of
> malware that's installed itself as a plugin and is thus duplicating
> the incoming emails.
> If you are using Outlook, you could try using Outlook Express to
> receive emails to see if the same behaviour is duplicated there. When
> configuring your account options, tell it to leave a copy of the
> messages on the server so that you don't end up with half your emails
> in one app and the other half in the other.
>
> If the same thing happens in OE, then the malware is either operating
> at an OS level or possibly (but highly unlikely) some sort of hack
> has occurred on your ISP.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Alex Clark

Thanks. The system has been scanned by three different AV tools.

I'm using Outlook (not express). I've checked the add-ins and see nothing
remotely suspicious.

I'll try the Outlook Express trick. Thanks.

From: HeyBub on
dadiOH wrote:
> HeyBub wrote:
>> I get an email. Almost instantly another email "arrives" with the
>> same subject but containing the following text:
>>
>> --- begin quote
>> Hello
>>
>> How are you doing recently?
>
> <snip>
>
> Is there a pattern vis a vis the first email and the second? For
> example, the SPAM always follows legit mail from a specific person or
> IP...

No. The message always follows a legit email, but the original sender seems
to be irrelevant. I'm reluctant to call it "spam" because I'm pretty sure it
was not actually SENT by a spammer. I think it's being generated internally
to my computer and stuffed in my in-box.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
It's not from a known source, it's from what looks to be a known source.
This is called spoofing.

dadiOH wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Why do I keep getting adverts in my mailbox every week for stores &
>> businesses I've never heard of, that are hundreds of miles away from
>> my home and that I wouldn't patronize anyway?
>
> You're missing his point...
>
> 1. He gets an email from a known source
>
> 2. He then gets SPAM with the *same subject* as the first - the one from
> the
> known source.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5