From: dadiOH on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> It's not from a known source, it's from what looks to be a known
> source. This is called spoofing.

OP says...
"I get an email from a known source, then, almost instantly, another email
"arrives" with exactly the same subject line as the righteous email but
containing the aformentioned text as the body."

I took him at his word :)

dadiOH
____________

From: Lem on
HeyBub wrote:
> dadiOH wrote:
>> HeyBub wrote:
>>> I get an email. Almost instantly another email "arrives" with the
>>> same subject but containing the following text:
>>>
>>> --- begin quote
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> How are you doing recently?
>> <snip>
>>
>> Is there a pattern vis a vis the first email and the second? For
>> example, the SPAM always follows legit mail from a specific person or
>> IP...
>
> No. The message always follows a legit email, but the original sender seems
> to be irrelevant. I'm reluctant to call it "spam" because I'm pretty sure it
> was not actually SENT by a spammer. I think it's being generated internally
> to my computer and stuffed in my in-box.

It might be a bit tedious, but to confirm whether these spurious
messages are being generated locally or not, check the headers in your
inbox on your ISP's server without actually downloading anything. That
way you can see if messages with duplicate subjects are in fact arriving
at your ISP.

Some ISPs have a web interface to their POP3 mail. Or you might be able
to telnet into your inbox. Or use one of the various email removers that
work in a similar fashion (e.g., http://www.email-remover.com/index.htm)

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: 20100209 on

HeyBub wrote:

> No. The message always follows a legit email, but the original sender seems
> to be irrelevant. I'm reluctant to call it "spam" because I'm pretty sure it
> was not actually SENT by a spammer. I think it's being generated internally
> to my computer and stuffed in my in-box.

Well in that case you can do only one thing and that will solve the
riddle once and for all.

1) Clone your HD and store it somewhere safe on an external drive;
2) Re-install the OS from scratch after formatting the HD;
3) Run your mail to see if the symptoms still persists;
4) If everything is OK then it is time to put back your cloned HD, and
this time copy only your main documents before wiping everything again.

The reason for doing this is to save time because if the problem is in
the mail server or at ISP then clearly there is no point in wiping
anything from the HD. However, if the problem is in the drive itself
then it is time to start all over again.

I believe, I am the only one to claim that Anti-virus, Anti-Malware
programs are NOT full proof to all evils on this land nor are they a
silver bullet solution to all computer problems.

hth
From: Shenan Stanley on
20100209 wrote:
> I believe, I am the only one to claim that Anti-virus, Anti-Malware
> programs are NOT full proof to all evils on this land nor are they a
> silver bullet solution to all computer problems.

Only because no one ever made the claim that you didn't make that I have
seen anyway. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Look at all the idiots in this newsgroup who post spoofing others. Do you
take their posts to be the real thing?

dadiOH wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> It's not from a known source, it's from what looks to be a known
>> source. This is called spoofing.
>
> OP says...
> "I get an email from a known source, then, almost instantly, another email
> "arrives" with exactly the same subject line as the righteous email but
> containing the aformentioned text as the body."
>
> I took him at his word :)
>
> dadiOH
> ____________
>
>> dadiOH wrote:
>>>
>>> You're missing his point...
>>>
>>> 1. He gets an email from a known source
>>>
>>> 2. He then gets SPAM with the *same subject* as the first - the one
>>> from the
>>> known source.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5