From: Armando on
Hi,

I own an HP2100 with 2x16MB + 1x8MB RAM + PS level 2 ability.

Examples of different setups:

1.
40MB total memory
24.49 MB available
Buffer I/O:
10000 assigned (from 23200 available)
Memory management:
6400KB assigned (from 19600 available)
PCL: 3200KB assigned (11kB used)
PS: 3200 KB assigned (0kB used)

2.
40MB total memory
15.21MB available
Buffer I/O:
20000 assigned (from 23200 available)
Memory management:
6400KB assigned (from 9600 available)
PCL: 3200KB assigned (0kB used)
PS: 3200 KB assigned (0kB used)

3.
40MB total memory
18.18MB available
Buffer I/O:
20000 assigned (from 29600 available)
Memory management (Memory management disabled):
0KB assigned (from 9600 available)

I think the starting point is the buffer.
By enabling buffer I think I can assign some memory to I/O so that the
printer can receive data while printing.
Then the remaining memory can be divided to be assigned to PCL or PS.
But I'm still not sure about the memory management...
Could someone clarify me???
Are the 0kB used memory values caused by the self tests made without
having printed any page?
Why should memory be assigned to PS or PCL??? The printer automatically
can change from PS to PCL mode according to the incoming jobs... ?;^(
Memory not assigned to PS or PCL should be part of buffer memory but
according to the values something is wrong...

Thank You
Armando
From: Will on
> Hi,
>
> I own an HP2100 with 2x16MB + 1x8MB RAM + PS level 2 ability.

<SNIP>

What problem do you have? What solution are you looking for?

From: Armando on
Hi Will,

Will wrote:
> What problem do you have? What solution are you looking for?

I'm experiencing too slow printing speeds in Linux. By using PCL6 in
Windows I never had any problem.
Because of slow speed, I've installed a PS module in my printer (to have
2x16MB +1x8MB +PS in place of 3x16MB I had before) to try to obtain some
improvements by preferring PS drivers in Linux. But I didn't solve the
troubles.
Maybe in PS mode the printer memory management settings are crucial and
have to be properly defined to obtain acceptable speed...

So I prefer to fully understand the HP memory management to exclude
problems related to these HW settings before making the proper driver
setting choices...

Thank You again
Armando
From: Alan on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:59:16 GMT, Armando <armando(a)b.it> wrote:

>I own an HP2100 with 2x16MB + 1x8MB RAM + PS level 2 ability.

>Then the remaining memory can be divided to be assigned to PCL or PS.
>But I'm still not sure about the memory management...
>Could someone clarify me???
>Are the 0kB used memory values caused by the self tests made without
>having printed any page?
>Why should memory be assigned to PS or PCL??? The printer automatically
>can change from PS to PCL mode according to the incoming jobs... ?;^(

I can't explain it all, but this last is because both PS and PCL
printing can store various things in the printer memory between jobs,
notably fonts. I use a PS printer and download my standard fonts to it
when I turn the printer on and so each job does not have to include
those fonts, making the jobs much smaller and faster. Yours is a bit
more advanced than the ones I've used (LJ4/5/6) which can switch
between languages, but at the cost of losing all storage used by the
other language, while it seems the 2100 is able to retain memory for
both modes at once.

I use PostScript almost exclusively, so this isn't a problem for me.

Maybe you can just allocate all of it to PS and use that exclusively.
(Or PCL, if you prefer.)

Also, you have the official maximum memory installed, 40Mb =2x16 MB +
8 on the PS, but I'd give larger memory modules a try. Often Laserjets
can be upgraded beyond the official max.

For instance, on Ebay I can see 2x32MB upgrades for the 2100.
Possibly even 64 MB modules may work, if you have some handy give it a
try. That should make memory management a lot less critical.