From: Peter J. Holzer on
On 2010-03-12 02:47, Uri Guttman <uri(a)StemSystems.com> wrote:
> >> anyhow, this whole thing is moot. the OP never said he had a 25GB file
> >> on a 2gb system.
>
> PJH> Right. He never said that. So where did you get that information?
>
> PJH> He said he had a 4 MB file and 45 GB of free space (the latter is rather
> PJH> irrelevant, of course).
>
> i misread the 45Gb free disk as the file size. he still never mentioned
> the file size. as i showed, the unpack is fastest with the data in
> ram. i still would want to know his setup (file size included) to see
> why his substr would be fastest. it has to be some very odd thing he is
> doing and not telling us.

The odd thing he is doing seems to be "using perl on Windows". Sln has
repeatedly pointed out that growing strings or arrays on Windows is
extremely slow (yes, sln sometimes makes strange claims, but be not only
provided benchmark results but also a link to a perlmonks thread - so he
isn't the only one who noticed this). I don't have access to a Windows
machine where I could test this myself, though.

hp
From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-usenet2(a)hjp.at>:

> The odd thing he is doing seems to be "using perl on Windows". Sln has
> repeatedly pointed out that growing strings or arrays on Windows is
> extremely slow (yes, sln sometimes makes strange claims, but be not only
> provided benchmark results but also a link to a perlmonks thread - so he
> isn't the only one who noticed this). I don't have access to a Windows
> machine where I could test this myself, though.

Win32's malloc is well known to be appalling, but you can't build perl
with perl's malloc if you want USE_IMPLICIT_SYS. Since IMP_SYS is required
for fork emulation, most perls on Win32 are built with Win32's malloc,
and are thus much slower than they might be :(.

Ben