From: nmorson on
I have a Seagate ST3500630A hard drive (1/2Tb) purchased less than a
week ago on ebuyer. And the summary is I've managed to lock it whilst
building an Xbox Media Centre. And I can't unlock it. I have the
password from the Xbox's eeprom but that's not working - neither is
xboxscene, the master password set by the locking/unlocking utility
that I used.

I've emailed Seagate and asked for a link to the firmware download to
flash the drive but so far they've been unresponsive on the issue. Is
there another way? I can't believe I've just stuff an £80 hard drive!
Please help - I have tried all of the unlocking utilities I can find
but it rejects any password I throw at it
From: Grinder on
nmorson(a)googlemail.com wrote:
> I have a Seagate ST3500630A hard drive (1/2Tb) purchased less than a
> week ago on ebuyer. And the summary is I've managed to lock it whilst
> building an Xbox Media Centre. And I can't unlock it. I have the
> password from the Xbox's eeprom but that's not working - neither is
> xboxscene, the master password set by the locking/unlocking utility
> that I used.

Do you have an eeprom.bin file, that would have been created by making a
backup in the EvoX dashboard?
From: Grinder on
nmorson(a)googlemail.com wrote:
> I have a Seagate ST3500630A hard drive (1/2Tb) purchased less than a
> week ago on ebuyer. And the summary is I've managed to lock it whilst
> building an Xbox Media Centre. And I can't unlock it. I have the
> password from the Xbox's eeprom but that's not working - neither is
> xboxscene, the master password set by the locking/unlocking utility
> that I used.

Also, describe the process by which you locked the hard drive.
From: nmorson on
On Jan 30, 4:55 am, Grinder <grin...(a)no.spam.maam.com> wrote:
> nmor...(a)googlemail.com wrote:
> > I have a Seagate ST3500630A hard drive (1/2Tb) purchased less than a
> > week ago on ebuyer. And the summary is I've managed to lock it whilst
> > building an Xbox Media Centre. And I can't unlock it. I have the
> > password from the Xbox's eeprom but that's not working - neither is
> > xboxscene, the master password set by the locking/unlocking utility
> > that I used.
>
> Also, describe the process by which you locked the hard drive.

I have an eeprom.bin file that was created when I first installed
EvoX. Using xboxhdm I copied a known good root drive from the existing
xbox to the new hard drive. Then I locked it using xboxhdm with the
command lockhd -a which automatically fetches the password from the
eeprom. Problem is, I think the software changed the master password
to xboxscene. I overlooked this when later rebuilding the drive again,
and tried to unlock it using the eeprom.bin file (with the old
password in it from the xbox). Even though I've now tried unlocking it
using the password xboxscene it's not interested. I'm assuming there
are a default number of attempts before the drive locks up for good,
requiring a firmware flash.

I've located firmware for older Seagate drives, and even fairly recent
ones but not a 1/2Tb model. As a last resort I will flash it with one
of these and see what happens, although I'm fairly certain it will
brick the drive for good.
From: Grinder on
nmorson(a)googlemail.com wrote:
> On Jan 30, 4:55 am, Grinder <grin...(a)no.spam.maam.com> wrote:
>> nmor...(a)googlemail.com wrote:
>>> I have a Seagate ST3500630A hard drive (1/2Tb) purchased less than a
>>> week ago on ebuyer. And the summary is I've managed to lock it whilst
>>> building an Xbox Media Centre. And I can't unlock it. I have the
>>> password from the Xbox's eeprom but that's not working - neither is
>>> xboxscene, the master password set by the locking/unlocking utility
>>> that I used.
>> Also, describe the process by which you locked the hard drive.
>
> I have an eeprom.bin file that was created when I first installed
> EvoX. Using xboxhdm I copied a known good root drive from the existing
> xbox to the new hard drive. Then I locked it using xboxhdm with the
> command lockhd -a which automatically fetches the password from the
> eeprom. Problem is, I think the software changed the master password
> to xboxscene.

It will set a *master* password of xboxscene, but it should still lock
the drive with an xbox-friendly password generated from eeprom.bin.

> I overlooked this when later rebuilding the drive again,
> and tried to unlock it using the eeprom.bin file (with the old
> password in it from the xbox).

And that unlock failed? What's the exact message you get when you try
to unlock the drive?

> Even though I've now tried unlocking it
> using the password xboxscene it's not interested. I'm assuming there
> are a default number of attempts before the drive locks up for good,
> requiring a firmware flash.

That's not true as far as I know.

> I've located firmware for older Seagate drives, and even fairly recent
> ones but not a 1/2Tb model. As a last resort I will flash it with one
> of these and see what happens, although I'm fairly certain it will
> brick the drive for good.

I think you're being a bit rash. Do you have any reason to suspect
flashing the firmware will unlock the drive?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: RAID 5 reading performance
Next: DVR-K17A firmware?