From: David M David on
If you have an ethnicity column I want to go to the next column and for all
of a certain ethnicity I want to return either a 1 or a zero.

Column A Column B
Hispanic 1
White 0
African American 0

In this case I am just quering for one ethnicity to which the second column
would display a1 for yes and or a 0 for no.

Any suggestions.
From: Fred Smith on
My suggestion is you ask a clear question. I can't figure out what you're
trying to do. Is it as simple as:
=if(a2="Hispanic",1,0)
?

If not, give some more examples.

Regards,
Fred

From: JLatham on
In B1
=IF(A1="Hispanic",1,0)

Change "Hispanic" to whatever indicator actually shows up in A1.

Other possibilities you might run into later:
Any non-white
=IF(A1<>"White",1,0)
Combination of 2 or more
=IF(OR(A1="Hispanic",A1="American Indian"),1,0)

Hope it helps you along with your project.

From: L. Howard Kittle on
Try this.

In J1 do a drop down the ethnicities.

With your ethnicity column starting in G9, in H9 enter this formula and pull
down as far as needed.

=IF(G9=$J$1,1,0)

Now when you select a different ethnic group in J1 it will put a 1 there and
0 for the others.

HTH
Regards,
Howard