From: dorayme on
In article <kTKRm.59706$ze1.46717(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote:

> "dorayme" <doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>
> > .someName {border: 2px grooved #339;}
>
> Which is along the lines of what I said this morning.

Fair enough but I have been distracted, sorry. I visited and gave an
endodentist nearly a grand for one session on one tooth today, that hurt
much more than the drilling and carrying on...

--
dorayme
From: Josiah Jenkins on
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:29:06 +1100, dorayme
<doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>In article <oa8eh51hph7r2djlglmbhqf2peqb7ialhn(a)4ax.com>,
> Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:
<sniPPed>

>> Can I put a single declaration into the css that says 'frame is to be
>> a box' rather than have [table frame="box"] on 4 -5 different pages ?
>>
>> I'm just trying to clean up the redundant stuff in the HTML pages.
>> >>
>Ah, I see. You want the CSS equivalent to the HTML attribute of frame
>with the 'box' value.

Yes indeed, that's what I'm after.

>Well, there is surely a *good enough* (no not so
>elaborate) approximation in something like
>
>.someName {border: 2px grooved #339;}
>
>Personally I like my table borders anything but ornate. Only when I
>forge a Great Master and try to flog it off on the internet do I go in
>for a few tricks. I suppose I could have a go to replicate your frame
>but perhaps this will do you? You just class the table concerned as

>and stick the CSS in a linked stylesheet.

Thanks, I'll go and try that. It doesn't need to be too fancy.

>The other way to do this is to use an include.

I'm using those for header, footer and sidebar menu which
have the same information repeated on (almost) every page.
(Some pages don't have the sidebar)

I'm using tables on some pages but the data contained in these
is never repeated. Most just contain a name which is a 'hot link'
similar to the one at the foot of :
http://www.ian-stewart.eu/irs_freeware.php
I just think it looks neater than a 'list' would.

>> >Why are you enclosing a table in a div?
>>
>> Because I thought I had to . . .
>
>Perhaps there are occasions when it is needed but it does not
>*have* to be inside a div. Images or bits of text do have to be
>in an element under some strict doctypes. But not a table.
>It can just be plonked wherever, it can be floated, it can be
>positioned or just let into the flow of the HTML doc,

So, does a table (in simple terms) acts more like a graphic/photo
than a block of text ?
ie. for instance could 'floatright' be used with a table ?
(Not that I want to !)

> it can be used to substitute for complicated lists, both
>unordered or ordered without loss of semantic utility,
>
>I have even seen a table agree to talk to me when I am lonely.

Errrr, yes. If you say so . . .
Hope the cells had plenty of padding !

>I like tables. They are big friendly things ...

I knew you had a soft spot for tables but, at the moment, this is only
a little table that needs some TLC to let it grow to maturity.

Thanks for the help.
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
From: Josiah Jenkins on
>On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:29:06 +1100, dorayme
><doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>In article <oa8eh51hph7r2djlglmbhqf2peqb7ialhn(a)4ax.com>,
>> Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:
><sniPPed>
>>>
>>Well, there is surely a *good enough* (no not so
>>elaborate) approximation in something like
>>
>>.someName {border: 2px grooved #339;}

>Thanks, I'll go and try that.

Great !!! I've updated the test page at :
http://www.ian-stewart.eu/table_test.php

I've also removed the un-needed <div></div>
around the table. Thanks very much (again)
for the help.
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
From: dorayme on
In article <etgfh55sndp2p599sqvs4doqvoe1tlqtus(a)4ax.com>,
Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:29:06 +1100, dorayme

> >> Because I thought I had to . . .
> >
> >Perhaps there are occasions when it is needed but it does not
> >*have* to be inside a div. Images or bits of text do have to be
> >in an element under some strict doctypes. But not a table.
> >It can just be plonked wherever, it can be floated, it can be
> >positioned or just let into the flow of the HTML doc,
>
> So, does a table (in simple terms) acts more like a graphic/photo
> than a block of text ?
> ie. for instance could 'floatright' be used with a table ?
> (Not that I want to !)

They don't refuse to be floated right (rather than left). I have
examined this matter closely and made double blind experiments and seen
no tendencies in tables in general to be resistant to going right. I
have interviewed many of them after their experiences and - yes, it
surprised me a bit - they seem not to care at all. There were, naturally
in such things, one or two which got a bit upset about it but...

As for floating blocks of text, it is *elements* that get floated. DIVs,
Ps, TABLES, ULs, ...

> > it can be used to substitute for complicated lists, both
> >unordered or ordered without loss of semantic utility,
> >
> >I have even seen a table agree to talk to me when I am lonely.
>
> Errrr, yes. If you say so . . .
> Hope the cells had plenty of padding !

Yes, they are good this way, they look to protect me when I am cross. <g>

--
dorayme